15

"No, no. Not the orphanage."

Jackson shook his head and curtly dismissed Chaeyoung who had suggested the idea. She rested her hands on her hips and sighed.

"We don't have any choice left, Inspector Wang."

She turned to look at the boy sitting quietly on the chair, his hands placed on his lap and his head hung down. He hadn't been eating properly and barely interacted with people. Jackson had never seen the boy smile, not even once. He wondered what must've been going on in the little brunet's head.

Chaeyoung bit her lip, "No one is coming forward to adopt him."

Jackson stared into nothingness and contemplated, "No one?"

Chaeyoung slowly nodded. Wordlessly, Jackson turned his back and walked towards Jungkook. He knelt and reached out a finger to lift his pale chin.

"Hey,"

Jungkook stayed still and remained quiet with his lips pursed. Jackson sighed.

"Do you trust me?"

Jungkook looked up into Jackson's face. He noticed his deep brown eyes and his defined features. His face looked so gentle and filled with concern that Jungkook relaxed a bit and tried to ignore his immense feeling of loneliness. Maybe he could trust one last person.

His lips quivered, "Yes."

Jackson's tensed shoulders slowly relaxed.

"You do?"

Jungkook slightly nodded. Jackson placed his hands firmly on his thigh and sighed.

"Would you- would you want to stay with me?"

Jungkook's already large doe eyes widened. Chaeyoung looked as surprised as Jungkook. She put a hand on his shoulder.

"Jackson, are you sure?"

Jackson glanced up at her touch. His face was etched with sureness that Chaeyoung didn't need any response for her question. Nevertheless, he answered, "Yes, Chaeyoung. I'm sure."

Chaeyoung took back her hand and nodded. Jackson turned back to Jungkook. Jungkook's pink lips, now almost white, were chapped and slightly parted from surprise. Jackson took his soft, small hands into his comparatively large hands and clasped it gently.

"What do you think, Jungkook? Would you come and stay with me?"

Jungkook bit his lip to prevent it from trembling. His large eyes were filled with tears again. He shut his eyes tightly and lowered his head, trying to hide his tears from Jackson. Jackson cupped his face and tenderly ran his thumbs across his cheek, wiping his tears.

"W-Why?" Jungkook finally looked up at Jackson's face and spoke.

Jackson shrugged, "Why, what?"

"Why do I have to live anymore?"

Jackson looked shocked. "What?"

Jungkook continued, "I don't have anyone or anything. I don't have any reason to live. But why, why are you giving me hope?" Jungkook emphasised again, "Why?" He stared at his eyes and searched for an answer.

Jackson took his hands and rubbed them soothingly. He sighed, "Life is not always fair, Jungkook. Good things happen, so does bad things." He paused and looked directly at Jungkook, "I know how hard it is to lose someone close to you. I have experienced it myself."

Chaeyoung appeared behind Jackson. She knelt beside him and patted his back. Jackson plastered a weak smile and took a huge breath,

"I lost my mother a few years back. She- I loved her so much. When she left, it was like happiness exiting my life. I felt all hope was lost and my world had come to an end."