Ch.8

3 days later...
—————————

Chris P.O.V

I emptied the bag of charcoal onto the ground before digging my hands into my pocket, taking out my lighter & a match

I grabbed the ascent fluid, poured it on top of the charcoal before sparkling up the match, throwing it on top.

I ran onto my back porch, picking up the box full of jaidah's things that I kept in memory of her.

I needed closure & the only way I was going to get that was to burn everything that reminded me of her.

Returning to the fire, I sat the box on the ground before opening it up.

Inside the box was letters, tapes, stuffed animals, Barbie dolls, and photos.

"Burn all this shit." I say, dumping everything out.

I tossed the barbie dolls one by one into the fire. Afterwards, I threw the stuffed bears & photos into the fire, watching it burn. Lastly, I ripped the letters up into pieces before tossing them along.

I paused when it came to the tapes. I at least wanted to see one. I wasn't sure which one to pick but I just grabbed the one that was in the middle.

Sighing, I stood away from the fire, walking toward the house. Good thing that I do have a DVD player.

I took my shoes off as I enter the house, making sure that the door was locked behind me before walking into the living room.

I put the tape into the dvd, pressing play.

{The Tape}

"Hi daddy." Little jai say, smiling into the camera, "I miss you & I hope you come home soon."

She held the camera up to her face as she walked in circles, "I went to the park today & I met a boy but he wasn't nice daddy, he pushed me."

She frowned, "It really hurt my feelings & I wish you was there to kick his butt but mommy told the little boy to not hit me again or she would kick his ass. Wait—what's an ass daddy?"

"What are you doing?" Jaliyah asked, walking in on jai as she continued her video.

"Im telling daddy about my day at the park." she admit, rolling her eyes.

"Well I need my phone so wrap it up."

"Okay." she turned back to the camera, a little disappointed, "bye daddy, I lovey you."

{End of Tape}

I fell onto my knees, gripping at my chest as I stare at jaidah's face that was plastered on the screen. I began to cry softly but then I began to cry hard.