Faced with Fate

I get up quickly, knocking my chair over. "We have to go back. Monika might be dying!"

Yuri, now with a worried expression, follows me out of the room. We run to the nurse's office.

"Hitomi!" I shout, running in.

Hitomi falls out of her chair with surprise. "Damn it, Roman, WHAT?!!"

"I need you to cast a barrier around this room!"

Hitomi looks at Yuri. "Are you sure..."

I nod. "Keep the grim reaper out."

Hitomi looks confused. "My barrier can not keep out a spiritual being."

Monika groans painfully.

Yuri watches silently.

Natsuki collapses in a chair. "Roman? Do you really think the grim reaper is coming for Monika?"

"I can't be sure, but I am trying to take every precaution." I reply.

"Precautions? What precautions can you set in motion to delay my duty?" A deep voice echos in the room.

We look around the room but see nothing.

"What business do you have with a highschooler?" I rebut. "She has her whole life ahead of her!"

The voice answers softer this time. "I am only doing as fate dictates. I am no one's enemy."

"Then let me speak to fate!!" I snap back.

The voice is quiet for a moment, no doubt stunned by my bold request. The grim reaper appears, without his scythe. "Very well. I do not know what good it will do, but I will grant that request for someone, such as you are."

The room turns pitch black, and before I turn around to look, I am face to face with a young glowing woman. Her expression was one of despire. I eye her skeptically. 

"I assure you, she is Fate." The Grim Reaper says, sensing my skepticism.

She looks at me with a blank expression. "Why have you come, vampire? Come to beg for your life?"

I am almost instantly angered by her disregard of my intentions. "You're the all-knowing deity here, why don't you tell me why I have come?!!"

She rolls her eyes and sits down. "I have not the energy to waste on such trivial inquires." She makes a scroll appear before her. She looks up at the Grim Reaper. "Why is he here? He is not marked for death.."

"He requested audience. I granted it under the grounds that he is one of the oldest living vampires." The Grim Reaper replies, looking away. "I also do not wish to take the life of a highschool girl."

Fate glares at him, then looks back at me with a forced smile. "So.. how may I help you?"

I cross my arms, with a smirk. "Oh, more willing to talk now are we? Then you may reintroduce yourself, and give a traditional Japanese bow in the process."

She reluctantly rises and bows. "I am Fate, keeper of order in all realms of existence. I apologize for my rudeness before."

I smile as she raises her head. "That was much better, thank you. My name is Roman and I am here to bargin for the life of Monika the succubus."

Fate sits again, summoning a different scroll before her. "I see she is very sick, after an appearent assault.. on a cold night...." She pauses for a moment, then looks up at me. "Why do you have a bested interest in a succubus?"

"My reasons are my own. If you want to know more, you are welcome to use your power to do so." 

She sighs. "Very well, I guess I have no other choice but to accommodate you." She closes her eyes, gently humming.

I look at the Grim Reaper.

He shrugs back, shaking his head.

After a few minutes of this, she opens her eyes again. "You wish to start a college for monsters and humans, and its success hinges on Monika living."

I look away. "I mean.. maybe. Mostly I just care to much, as her future head master, to let her future just end here."

Fate smiles. "How very unselfish of a vampire to put himself in this position. But make no mistake, the success of your college will not totally be by your hand, but the doing of all your newly acquired friends."

I sigh. "So what will it take to see my request fulfilled?"

Fate thinks for a moment. "I can give you a few options: first born son, eternal servitude, kill a select list of people...."

"How about things that would not hinder my relationship with humanity?!!" I growl.

Fate groans. "You're no fun..."

I cross my arms. "So I have been told."

Fate clears her throat. "We are currently in the market for a new goddess of life, if you wanted to suggest a candidate."

I smile. "Eunice." Saying her name plainly and without any hint of doubt in my voice.

Fate opens a portal and Eunice steps through.

"Where am I?" Eunice asks, looking around and spotting me. She slams a clipboard against my head. "What have you done this time, Roman?!!" She shouts.

I look at her with a smile. "How does goddess of life sound to you?"

Eunice blushes. "Do I look like a goddess to you?! I am pieced together dead parts and God aweful hair!"

Fate clears her throat. "A different body would be provided as part of your payment for the job. Very elegant, I assure you."

Eunice stares at Fate, for a moment, and then glances at the Grim Reaper. She bends down to me. "Are you freaking serious?! You already keep me busy enough, as is. Frank and I have not had a couple date in over three years!!"

I look at her with a serious expression. "Monika's life depends on your answer."

Eunice reels back and then stomps in a circle. "That is not fair!!"

"As the goddess of life, you could save Monika and grant proper life to your husband." Fate adds.

Eunice angrily points at me, while looking at Fate. "Can I kill this mother fucker?!!"

Fate shakes her head. "Death is not one of your goddess powers. That is the Grim Reaper's job. Plus he is not marked for death." Fate quickly glances over a scroll. "In fact, no surprise, he is not foreseen to die of any natural causes."

Eunice hovers over me, flexing her arm. "OH!!! I can fix that right now!!"

"Are you going to save Monika or not?" I ask gruffly.

The Grim Reaper looks out into the distance. "She doesn't have much more time."

Eunice groans, looking at Fate. "I want nights and weekends with my husband."

Fate shrugs. "I am sure I can arrange something to that effect."

Eunice crosses her arms. "It is either that or nothing. My husband will be taking a teaching position soon, and I fully intend to be there to support him."

Fate sighs, then looks up at her with a smile, offering her hand. "You have a deal."

Eunice slowly reaches out and takes Fate's hand. With a flash of white light, she appears as a beautiful, bronze skinned, platinum haired woman dressed in a white dress. Eunice takes a moment to look herself over. "Oh, Frank is going to love this new look!"

I look at Fate, as I stand. "I believe that concludes our business."

Fate smirks, propping her head on her arm. "Until next time."

The Grim Reaper opens a portal back to Hitmoi's office and we step through.