The Mate

I sat in the office at my house

I sat in the office at my house. It is hard to focus on my work when my wolf wouldn't rest. She would prance around my head, howling, crying for her mate. For Mason. It was approaching my fourth day without him, or maybe it was only two. I don't know anymore. No, no, it was three, definitely three.

My hands run through my hair for the seventieth time tonight. Shaking my head and focusing my eyes once again. Finally my wolf rested for a moment before immediately perking up.

Please stop. I beg her but she makes me smell the air. There is nothing in the air, nothing but the smell of the house.

Beta, there is a wolf running into the territory. A warrior calls through the pack link.

Chase him out! I order trying to focus again.

He reaks of Killer Wolf. Do we kill him?

No! I cry out as my wolf realizes who entered the territory. Bring him to the dungeons.

Quick as I can, I throw on a pair of shoes and walk to the dungeons. I am met by Holden, who stood with his arms crossed. I went strait to him as a warrior exited the main door.

"He had this on him," the warrior says. Holden takes the bag and opens it, the smell of my mate radiating off the bag.

"It's clothes, why have a bag of clothes?" Holden looks confused at the bag.

"Maybe he ran away," I suggest, my eyes locked in the bag.

"We confirmed it's Mason Drake."

A growl erupts from Holden. "Kill him."

"No!" I didn't control my words. Before I could do anything my wolf was in control, which I quickly fought. I regained control only to see Holden roughly dismiss the warrior.

"What's wrong with you?"

I take a deep breathe, "He ran away, that's evident. Maybe we use his lack of loyalty to Killer Wolf to our advantage."

"You forget he lead the raid that killed fifteen people."

"I know each of their names. I am just trying to think rationally."

"Rationally?" he rolls his eyes. "This is the pack we're talking about. The people you swore to protect!"

"You don't understand."

"Then tell me!" he yells in frustration. "When have I ever not let you speak you mind."

"He's my mate," I blurt out and watch his eyes widen and his mouth opens. "I met him in the raid. I told him to retreat and to never return."

"But he came back."

"Apparently--"

"For you. He came for you. By the bag he intends to stay here with you," Holden hands me the bag, to which I drop on the ground.