Aftermath

We arrive home from the meeting with Holden and the Generals

We arrive home from the meeting with Holden and the Generals. The body count is six, with three in critical condition. Jade take off her sneakers as I go sit on the couch. My head falls between my legs.

This is all my fault. Those lives lost can be added to my growing body count in the pack. I've hurt more than I've saved. I'm killing more than protecting. I don't deserve to be a Delta or to be a pack member.

"Mason?" Jade walks in and sits beside me. "Don't think like that."

I laugh dryly, "None of its false. I'm pathetic."

"You are not pathetic!" her hands grab my face and force me to look at her. "You are not any of those things Alpha Drake believes you to be."

"How can you know? You've known me for what? Two weeks. And in that time I've attacked your pack and ran away from mine. I'm a coward, Jade! Face it, you mated a coward and a murderer."

"I mated a kind, compassionate man. One who trains with pups and talks with pack members about their requests. One that is fair and orderly. Who cares for me when I'm injured and loves me unconditionally. I mated you, Mason. I love you."

She pulls my head close to her chest and her fingers tangle into my hair. My arms wrap loosely around her waist as I take a deep breath in. Her hands move up and down my back as I calm down. "I can't help feel responsible for Red Sky's problem."

"Come with me," she stands and pulls me with her. We walk out the front door and she leads me down the road. I knew the way, to the pack doctor. I saw the sign that had brought me so much anxiety a week ago. She leads me inside where a receptionist stands and bows to us.

"Beta Jade, how may I assist you?" she smiles at my mate as she remands standing.

"Is Kendra working?"

"She's taking inventory in the storeroom."

"Thank you," Jade smiles before leading me down a hall. "Kendra?"

"Beta?" she turns to greet us, her happy face falls when she sees me. Her legs take a cautious set back and she bangs into a shelf. "Um, D-Delta Drake."

"Mason," Jade pulls me closer to her. "This is Kendra Wood. You two haven't been properly introduced."

I offer my hand to her, but it results in her backing more into the shelf. Something falls to the ground and she scrambles to pick it up, I reach down and grab it for her, "Here."

She takes it and hastily replaces it, "Sorry."

"Your fear is understandable. I had no right to attack you when we first met."

"I'm not a wolf. Why would you go after a human?"

"My father told me that killing humans is righteous. That they are inferior to wolves and should be cut down. Obviously I don't believe that, I knew though, that if I didn't then he would beat me, kill me possibly."

"No offense, but your dad sounds like an ass."

I chuckle, "He is. I hope that in time you can tolerate my presence here."

"I'll have to, I'm sure we will see a lot of each other, seeing as my brother is mated to Jade's sister."

That's why they have the same last name. Kendra and I will share a niece or nephew one day. That will be one story to tell them, 'Uncle Mason first met Aunt Kendra when he tried to kill her.'

"It was good to see you, Kendra," Jade hugs the girl.

"We have to do coffee soon."

"Definitely."

Kendra offers me her hand, which I shake. Jade smiles at me before she takes my hand and leads me out. She takes me out the doors and we walk, not towards home though. Instead, we walk around the small town Red Sky occupied. I had seen a bit of it, but Jade was now showing me everything. The main square had a few restaurants, a cafe, bar, grocery, and a boutique.

"Over there," she points to an ally behind one of the restaurants. "That's where I had my first kiss."

I growl, pulling her closer to my side, "I thought I was your first kiss."

She laughs, "No, but you're the best kiss."

I stop and swing her in front of me, grabbing both her hands and kissing her roughly. "Better be."

She giggles and kisses my cheek, "What about you, Big Bad Wolfie, who was your first kiss?"

"You," I lean down and kiss her again. I make sure to rub some of my scruff on her cheek though, making her laugh more.

"Seriously," she wacks my chest. "Who?"

"Natasha."

"Sounds sexy," Jade turns from me and tries to walk away from me.

Before she can keep walking I pull her back to me, "She was a pureblood from Russia."

"Why are you telling me this?" she huffs, looking away from me. Her wolf is feeling jealous, I can feel it through our bond.

"My father set me up with her. He wanted me to mate with her. I refused, telling him that I needed to wait for my mate. That I might be blessed with a pureblood mate like Jackson--"

"You weren't," she says sharply.

I grab her chin and make her look at me. "I don't care. I said that so he wouldn't force me into a loveless marriage."

I lean down and capture her lips, her hands gentle gracing my back and I hold her face to mine. "Mine was Colton." I growl furiously, ready to go pummel him, she grips me tightly and laughs, "I'm kidding, I'm kidding. He was a human named David."

"I should go kick Colton's ass anyways," I bring her closer to me so our chests are pressed together. My lips linger over her mark, occasionally kissing it.

"That would be interesting to see," she giggles again. "Speaking of, we have yet to spar."

"I'm kissing you and all you can think of is fighting me?"

"I'm a simple girl," she shrugs.

"Crazy more like..."

Her fist makes contact with my stomach and I gasp on impact. "Square up, Drake." She takes a few steps back from me and lowers herself, ready to hit me again.

"Not cool, Lewis."

She growls playfully at me and I return the action. "Fight me, Mason," she whines and I chuckle at the voice.

"Not tonight. We have training tomorrow, that way we fight on fair grounds."

"Fine," she give up, walking back into my arm. I hug her close to me before using my heal to sweep her legs out from under her. She falls out of my arms and to the ground. "Mason!"

"That was payback." I offer my hand and she takes it. When she's back in my arms, I kiss her forehead. "Sorry."

"It's okay. I'll get you tomorrow."

Oh goddess.