Killer Wolf

Mason Drake ^(Silviu Tolu)

The rain pours down the bay window I sat at

The rain pours down the bay window I sat at. Wolves walk out of the forest for patrol change. Mostly, however, I look at the sky, over the trees, in the direction of Red Sky. My mate is there. She's there without me, but that's for the best. She doesn't want me, not after what I've done.

My bedroom door opens, Jackson walks in and sits behind me on the bed, "I'm worried about you, brother."

"Why?" I ask as I watch two raindrops race down the window.

"You haven't slept in three days," he comments. It was true, I hadn't slept since I met her. My wolf is punishing me for walking away. I didn't have a choice though, she doesn't want me.

Ever since the raid, my wolf refuses to speak to me. He pouts and howls in my head, keeping me up at all hours of the night. It doesn't take much thought, my own depression about her being gone has the same effect.

"What's your point?"

"Are you upset dad beat you after you retreated from the raid? Because honestly, Mason, he's done worst."

"I know," I don't look at my brother. The window, the woods, the thought of my mate being hundreds of miles away, keep my attention.

Jackson sighs and stands up to walk over to me, "Dad wants to you file these papers."

I pick up the folder, Red Sky Transfer of Power. It is customary that packs send records when they transfer power from Alpha to Heir to all neighboring or treatied packs. This way the records are kept in many locations in case of the event that a pack is destroyed or records are lost.

I open the file to find their new Alpha, Holden Jacobs, and his mate/Luna, Katalynna Jacobs. A human for a Luna. My father must be furious. The next page states the Beta, but that is not all it holds. Her face is there, printed on a photograph. Jade Lewis.

Jade. My wolf howls at the sight. She is the Beta, her loyalty to the pack is strong. The fact that I am her mate will mean nothing to her. Alpha Jacobs will call for my head and I'm sure she won't hesitate to deliver.

"Jade..."

"The female Beta? Yes, she's remarkable. First one in Red Sky history, the first one I've ever heard about."

"Jade Lewis." My thumb runs over her photo, tracing her chin.

"Something wrong with the file?"

"No," I stare at her eyes, her brown eyes. She looks strong, but soft. Like a warrior and a friend all bundled up into one Beta.

"You met her during the raid?"

"Yeah."

"She's your mate," he concludes and my eyes dart to him. I told no one she is my mate. No one! I know that if father finds out he will make me kill her. Their Beta isn't a pureblood like the Drakes. Even Jackson's mate had to go through rigorous lineage research before he was allowed to mate with her.

"How--"

"The way you look at her, it's the way I look at Kennedy. The way a mate always looks at their mate."

"Not father."

"Father is a bastard and we've known that since we were born."

"She doesn't want me. Not after all I've done."

"Mason," his large hand rests on my shoulder. "You stupid little brother. Why did you come back to Killer Wolf? You would be better rouge than here."

"I hoped father would kill me for retreating," I say honestly as I watch the window. The direction of my mate. I knew that right off our borders were hers. Jade was so close, but so far out of my reach.

Jackson moves to sit by me. He also looks out the window for a few moments with me. "Go to her."

"If I invade Red Sky again they will kill me."

He shook his head and grabs both my shoulders, shaking me slightly. "Maybe they will, or maybe your Beta mate will save you from our father."

"What about you, brother? About Thomson and Maddison?" I ask, concerned for both my older brothers and my twin sister.

"My mate is here," Jackson says. "And you know that Thomson is loyal to father. As for Maddi, you know what she would want for you."

I nod my head. Maybe there was a chance. If I went to her and begged, perhaps she would take me back. Jackson is the oldest of us and he's right, my best chance is with Jade.

"How do I get out of here?"

"East border patrol change is in twenty minutes. That's the best time to get out," he stands and leaves. "Call mamă before you leave, 'kay?"

"Got it," I say as he leaves me alone. I go for my closet and grab a duffle. I stuff some clothes in it before going for the nightstand. Inside is the picture of all four of us Drake children. My family. Besides it is a ring, a golden band with black carvings all around.

I slip the ring on my right middle finger. I sneak out of my bedroom and run out of the house. A mile away was where my mother lived with my sister. I go in through the back to find my mother baking in the kitchen.

"Hello, sweetheart, Jack told me you haven't been sleeping," she turns to me after setting the pie on the cooling rack and sticking another in the oven. I kiss her cheek before she looks me over. "Your grandfather's ring?"

"I'm leaving, mamă," I say to her. "My mate is in Red Sky."

She smiles at me, "What's her name?"

"Not now, I'll call when I can," I promise her. She jumps slightly before going over to a treasure box she keeps. She opens it and grabs another ring. "Mamă, no."

"Maddi and Kennedy don't want it, and your grandfather gave you his, it's only right they be together," she hands me the matching ring. It was smaller and had a similar engravement with three small black diamonds. She puts it on a string and ties it around my neck.

"Thank you," I hug her tight before I leave her.

I shift and grab the duffel in my mouth. Running to the east boarder I quickly bursting past patrol. No one noticed as I left the pack and going by scent to Red Sky.

Hoping my mate would take me back.