You Smell Like Me

As we walk back to the house, Mason places his hand on my shoulder

As we walk back to the house, Mason places his hand on my shoulder. I jump, still skittish from the memories I was reminded of earlier. "Jade, baby, what's wrong?"

"Nothing," I continue into the house. Going for the kitchen. "I'm great."

"It would take a fool to believe that as the truth."

"The scar on my hip," I start and he nods along with me.

"The one I've asked you about but you won't tell me."

"That one. It was caused by a silver bullet."

"What happened?" He walks and pulls me into his arms.

"Colton--"

"He shot you!" I am pushed back to see Mason's dark eyes.

"No," I furrow my eyebrows. Tucking my head back into his chest. "Colton met Julia right after they turned sixteen. The issue was Julia's old Alpha was a creap. He had had sex with many young wolves in his pack, and Julia had caught his eye. He didn't want to let her go before he had his way with her. Colton challenged him for Julia and her family to join Red Sky.

"The day of the challenge came. The Alpha bought a gun though. Before the fight, Colton was with Julia, promising her everything would be alright. I saw the gun and got in between it and the target. The Alpha got killed by one of the warriors there with us. I got rushed to the doctor. I suffered severe shock and silver poisoning, nearly died."

"You took a bullet for Colton? That's why he's so loyal to you."

"No," I shake my head. "The gun was aimed at Julia. I took a bullet for his mate."

His arms held me tighter. "Arguably more important to a wolf than his own life."

"Colton, Ally, and I have been through a lot together. They are loyal to me and I to them. He fights by my side so then I know my back is always covered. I've never been in battle without Colton."

"You believe if he's by your side you will never lose."

"It's not about a debt to be repaid, not for us. He's my brother in arms. While I love you," I lean up and kiss him lightly. "I will always want Colton by my side in a fight."

"I get it," he kisses me again. "I want you to fight with him. Then I will know you are being protected by the best warrior Red Sky has to offer."

My grip tightens on his shirt, "You're coming home after the battle."

"I will always come home to you."

His lips land on my head as we stand there, if only for a moment. My phone buzzes and I have to leave his hold. It's Holden, reminding me I have patrol. "I have to go."

His hand rests on my lower back as he reads over my shoulder. "Who are you patrolling with?"

"Alexia Delivar and Bryan McConnel."