Chapter Four

Trying to not fall for Fred became harder with the days. Every second that passed, I felt more and more drawn to him.

Maybe it was the way he dotted the i in my last name with a heart, or the little doodles he'd draw on my hand when he knew I was stressed. Whatever it was, he was making it absolutely impossible to not feel like there was something there, and I really hoped he felt the same. The thing is, with soulmates, it comes either platonically or romantically, but that's the part you have to figure out for yourself.

I'd asked him on numerous occasions if I could have his number, so that we could text instead of writing letters every weekend. I even told him we didn't have to call or anything, just text. But, he always said he couldn't.

Another person I couldn't keep off my mind was Arthur. I wore his ring on my thumb everyday just incase I were to see him again, but I hadn't, and it had already been two months.

Normally I'd write my letters for Fred towards the end of the week, because he would come and get them over the weekend, but I was feeling particularly lonely this week so I'd decided to write two for him.

Fred,
We talk everyday, and I've never even met you, yet somehow I miss you. I can't wait for the day we meet, I just know it's going to be like I finally found my missing piece, and I pray everyday that you get where I'm coming from. But I know you do, I can feel it. I just hope I can finally say it to your face soon, I'm really not sure how much longer I can wait. Maybe I'll stay up for days... forcing you to either show yourself or never again?
Best, Lola

I smiled to myself as I set it on my desk, then I moved to lay on my bed. I gazed at my hand, which still had silly faces all over it from when Fred had drawn on it earlier, and pulled out a pen. I softly rubbed off what I'd written on it earlier, which actually was answers to a quiz I had taken earlier, and began to draw hearts, all over. It was a little cheeky but I thought it would be nice.

For me? :) I saw him write on my other hand.

For you

With that, I set my pen on my nightstand and let my mind wander—

How did Fred seriously manage to come to my house every evening without a trace? I mean really, my room was on the second floor, and there was no way he could climb up the side of my house; there was nothing to grab. Honestly, the strangest part was that I never really questioned him about it further than just asking why, and arguing that he should stop and say hello when he comes. But he always made no noise, and always came when I was asleep, or not paying attention for even a moment. One night, I stayed up until 6 in the morning, and I swear I looked at the clock for one second, and when I looked back at the window the letter I set out had been replaced with his.

It was like magic or something.