Chapter Eight

New Years creeped faster than I'd liked, not that I wasn't excited for the new year, I just wasn't looking forward to spending it alone. Georgia was going to be out with Hazel, and I was going to be completely alone. To help the sad, sad, intrusive thoughts, I decided to get dressed, and head downtown so at least I would be doing something fun rather than sitting alone in my room.

The drive wasn't super long, maybe 20 minutes from my house. There was a big celebration happening in the city, and I knew a spot at the top of this old building my parents got married in, it looked vacant so I never felt bad getting on top of it. I mean, who would I be to not climb a ladder that goes to the top of a building? It was practically calling my name, not my fault if it was illegal.

Once I got to the building and parked, I made my way up to the building and began climbing. It wasn't a super, super tall building, but it was enough to see over the city and at the firework show soon to happen. Honestly, although cold, the brisk wind felt nice. I always felt really at peace every time I was here, it was like my safe place, away from all bad thoughts.

I looked down at my phone, and the clock read 11:46. I held my breath, trying to think of every memory from the last year. But, leaving this year felt so hard. So many great things had happened, mainly Fred. That's really the only thing.

I sighed, tucking my hair behind my ears as I stared at the chaos and laughter in the distance, wishing with everything in me that this upcoming year would be okay, and I just couldn't stop thinking about Fred. Well, more worrying, and hoping that things with Fred and I would go well. Like, what if we met and he didn't like me? That's possible, with soulmates I'm sure. I'd never heard of stories like that but if it was going to happen to anyone it was obviously going to be me, cause the universe hates me for some-

"Are you allowed to be up here?" I heard a familiar voice say, making me nearly jump out of my skin.

I turned around to see Arthur, the guy I'd met at the coffee place a few weeks ago. "Arthur? What are you doing up here?" I asked, standing up to walk over to him.

"I come up here all the time, to clear my head. I like your sweater by the way," He said. "Why are you up here?

I looked down at the sweater Fred's mum made me, and smiled. "Thank you, I like it too. And, I come up here a lot too, I'm surprised I've never seen you up here—oh! Here, I have this. I haven't taken it off for this exact reason," I said, pulling his W ring off of my finger. "You left it on the table at that coffee place."

He smiled as he slipped it back onto his finger. "Wow, thank you so much! I thought for sure I'd lost it."

"It's no problem, here, come sit." I said, pulling him to the edge of the building I was sitting at.

We sat in silence for a few brief moments, just observing, until he spoke up. "What time is it?"

I looked down at my phone, "Uh, 11:55."

"Lola, I have something I really need to tell you." He said, looking at me with a worried expression.

I looked up at him and softly smiled. "Well, go on then. What's bugging you?"

"No, nothing. It's just, I'm not sure how you're going to react so just—wait for me to finish, okay?" He said, and I nodded along. "I just want to start off by saying my name isn't Arthur, that's my dads name. I'm sorry for lying to you, but at the time, I wasn't ready for you to know me yet, and I completely understand if you're angry with me."

"Oh, well I mean that's kind of odd, but I'm not mad at you. That's just... a little weird. Why?" I asked, a little confused as to why he was telling me all this.

He shifted to leaning back, his weight being pressed onto his arms, making his shirt pull down a little to reveal a necklace. I squinted at it, to see what was at the end of it, but I didn't want to stare.

My heart started beating really fast, my subconscious definitely knew something that I hadn't processed yet.

He sighed, and sat forward again as I waited for his response, this time his necklace fell out of his shirt.

My heartbeat rapidly increased. "What's your name?"

I looked at me, and I knew.

"Fred."