Chapter 22- Pre Party Woes

WARNING: UPSETTING CONTENT.

NOTE: PLEASE ANSWER THE INTERACTIVE QUESTION AT THE END.

"Why did you say yes?", asked Silas.

"I panicked!", exclaimed Professor Harrow.
"Besides, we can't exactly say no. He'll become more suspicious."

"So we have to go into the mouth of Héll?", questioned Yukishiro.

"Afraid so", frowned Professor Harrow.

"What are we going to do?", asked Azlan.

"The only thing we can do", replied Professor Harrow.

"Rob a bank and run off to Portugal?", suggested Yukishiro.

"No. We're gonna lie through our teeth."

___________________________

The fated day arrived, and no one had spoken to Maya since yesterday. Still, Professor Harrow said it was crucial that Maya was kept in the loop.

Quinn: We're going to Everett's for dinner tonight. Meet in usual room after school.

Quinn sighed as the minutes flew by. Maya usually responded to her within a couple minutes.

She didn't hate Maya. If anything, she felt hatred towards herself for not being the kind of friend Maya wanted to open up to.

The mind plays weird games, doesn't it?

With a sigh, Quinn grabbed her bag and ran down the stairs.
"I'm leaving now!", she called out to the empty house.

________________________

Bennett left his room, jumping out of his skin when he saw a tall figure in front of him.
"Dad! Don't do that."

His father crossed his arms.
"You really upset your mother the other day."

Bennett sighed.
"She was being pushy!
Why can't she understand that I don't want to dig up ancient history?"

Bennett's father frowned.
"You know, when you were taken-"

"-I don't wanna-"

"-No, you listen to me! The day you were taken was a day we will never forget. Every day was Héll for us. We searched day in and day out. We had nightmares about the terrible things you went through. We know it's hard son, but we want to share your pain. We just want to know what happened."

Bennett stared at his father. He couldn't help but picture his parents crying in his room, watching from his window, hoping he'd come home.

"I'm not ready, Dad."

His father's face softened.
He placed a hand on his son's shoulder, a frown appearing on his face when Bennett flinched.

"Sometimes, son... you just have to dive straight in to the pain. To the struggle. It's only then that you'll realise the strength you have."