31. Lunch

Axol's POV

      Axol couldn't believe it. Cynthia and Gladion both had no idea what a chili cheese fry was?!?! This was breaking news. He had to show them the beauty of the delicious food. After the four Trainers had arrived in the food court, Axol found a table that was relatively clear with four chairs, and placed his backpack next to a chair. Snow, Gladion, and Cynthia did the same with their belongings and sat down.

     "I'll go get the food," he said. Snow threw him her black wallet. "Don't worry, I won't spend all of your cash." The siblings got a check in the mail every month from Benson, so money wasn't a big problem. He walked to the stand that marked where the heavenly, possibly preservative-filled food was sold.

      "I'd like two large baskets of chili cheese fries," he said to the lady at the stand. She nodded and ducked into the back of the food truck, and came out with two steaming hot baskets. She handed them to Axol with a smile, as Axol took out some cash.

     "Enjoy," she said brightly. The Dragon-type Trainer thanked the lady and walked back to Snow, Cynthia, and Gladion.

     "Here you go," he said. "One for the lovebirds and another for Cynthia and me." Snow's and Gladion's faces rapidly turned bright red.

     "Shut up," Gladion said. Axol just laughed and popped a fry into his mouth.

     "Try it!" he said. Gladion, reluctantly, picked up a fry, which was dusted with red on top of the usual french fry color. As he popped it into his mouth, an indescribable taste doused his taste buds. It was heaven on earth.

     "This...this is SO GOOD!!!" he yelled to Axol. "I can't believe I never tried this before! The perfectly spicy tang of flavor with the salt and the smoothness of the cheese and french fry combine perfectly into one amazing food." Cynthia and Snow both stared at Gladion, who was describing the beauty of the chili cheese fry.

      "Um...right," Snow said, astonished, while Gladion was talking on. She had never seen her boyfriend say so many words at a time. She ate another fry, and shrugged. "It's okay, I guess."

     "OKAY?!" he yelled incredulously. "Snow, this is the MOST DELICIOUS thing I have EVER TASTED." She laughed and handed Gladion a napkin.

     "Wipe that red stuff off of your fingers, dummy," she said with a smile. Gladion laughed and wiped his fingers, which were shaking. After his hand was clean, he reached for a handful of fries in their basket and stuffed them in his mouth, while Cynthia and Snow ate placidly, and Axol smiled an I-told-you-so smile.

     "No kisses for you until you've brushed your teeth," Snow said, grinning. Gladion's face melted in a mock devastated look. Snow laughed and playfully smacked him, while Axol clapped Gladion on the back.

     "Now that, my friend, is what is so amazing about the chili cheese fry. You'll be dreaming about it for days," he said, that same I-told-you-so smile on his face. Axol stood up with Snow's wallet. "Now that I've shown you the chili cheese fry, let's get some actual food. Anyone up for malasadas?"

     "Malasadas are basically donuts. Let's just get some sandwiches," Cynthia suggested. Snow nodded.

     "Cynthia's right. I'll order this time." Snow volunteered, standing up and taking her wallet back from Axol. "You three, stay here." 

     After finishing their sandwiches, the four Trainers all stood up and grabbed their things, ready to head back after a day of adventure and new discoveries. Snow looked at Gladion, an idea starting to take shape in her head. She decided to ask Axol if it was all right.

     "Hey, Axol?" she asked quietly, so Gladion wouldn't hear. "Do you think it would be okay if Gladion stayed at our house for the weekend? Cynthia's staying anyways, and I don't want him to feel alone." Axol turned to her big sister and grinned.

     "Heck yeah!" he said quietly, but not without enthusiasm. "He can stay in my room, and Cynthia will stay in yours. Is that okay with you?" Snow nodded and linked her arm into Gladion's.

     "Gladion, you're coming with us," she announced, smiling. Gladion looked to her and grinned. 

     "Really?" he asked. "You mean, with Axol and Cynthia too?" Snow nodded.

     "I mean, if you don't want to, you don't have to," she said, thinking she had overstepped her boundaries. Gladion shook his head and turned to Snow.

      "No, no, no, I didn't mean that. I'm not used to staying with other people, but I do want to do this. I'll head to my motel room and grab my stuff." he said. Snow's face lit up and she nodded. Axol, who was still grinning, pumped his fist. More time to bother Gladion! Yay! He looked over to Cynthia with a conspiratorial look in his eye. 

     Oh, this weekend was going to be very, very, interesting.