22. Date

Gladion's POV

     "Hey," Gladion said, seeing Snow, who had changed into a button up. Gladion hadn't thought of changing out of his usual ripped hoodie and pants. 

     "Hey yourself," she said. "So, where are we going today, Prince Charming? 'Cause this Cinderella isn't the type to go to balls." Gladion laughed and elbowed Snow.

     "You think there's any formal balls in Alola? Nah. We're going to the beach, of course. I brought a picnic." he said. He pulled out a basket with a rolled-up blanket on top. Snow's eyes sparkled.

     "Seriously?! That's perfect," she said. "I swear, picnic lunches are so cool." Gladion smiled, hiding his relief. He was afraid that Snow would think that the picnic idea was dumb or something, but he didn't have to worry about it anymore. But Snow's eyes caught some movement an open window. She sighed and yanked Axol out of the window by his orange T-shirt, his phone clattering out of his hands and onto the grass. 

     "Dummy. If you're going to spy, don't do it at an open window. Seriously." she said, a smile tugging at the corners of her lips. Gladion first smiled, and then burst out into laughter. Axol laughed with him, picking up his phone.

     "Fine, fine, fine. Just sayin'. I'm going to bother him so much," Axol said, motioning to Gladion. Suddenly Gladion felt a chill down his back. He had a feeling that Axol was very good at bothering people. Axol grinned and ruffled Gladion's hair, sticking his arm up to reach him. Gladion backed away and nodded at Snow.

     "All right. We're heading out. Go bother your classmates or something," Snow said, a laugh still lingering in her voice. Axol just smiled cryptically and walked into Professor Kukui's house. 

     "We'll see," he said. As the door closed, Gladion and Snow could both hear the sound of someone falling to the ground in laughter. Snow just shook her head, flung the door opened, and smacked Axol playfully. 

     "Go away," Axol said. "I'm coming up with my next scheme." Snow just sighed and closed the door. She walked to Gladion and laughed. 

     "Seriously. He's an idiot," she said with a grin plastered on her face. She looped her arm into Gladion's. 

     "Let's go," he said, and Snow nodded. 

Snow's POV

     Snow had expected her first date ever to be something dumb or stupid, with a boy who didn't care about what she felt. But she had never expected her first date to be a picnic lunch on the beach of the Alola region with a boy she really, genuinely liked. She looked out to the bright blue sea and the Wingull flying in the sky. She stuffed another bite of a croquette sandwich in her mouth.

     "Did you make this yourself?" Snow asked. Gladion nodded. She flung her arms around him. "It's so good," she said. Behind a sand dune, a boy in sunglasses and a backpack grinned and snapped a photo. Gladion narrowed his eyes at the sound but didn't say anything, and the unsuspecting couple continued to eat. 

     An hour later, Snow and Gladion were exploring Alola, looking through the forests and exploring caves. Snow smiled at a Bewear and a Stufful sleeping together in a hollowed tree trunk, her cheeks pink with a blush.

     "So...cute," she whispered with a grin, her words blending until it didn't even resemble a sentence anymore. "Oh my god I just want to cuddle with that Stufful until the end of the world it's so cute oh my god." Gladion smiled at Snow's words and hugged Snow.

     "Hey, if you don't have that Stufful, you can have me," he said. Snow blushed, her face turning a darker pink and hugged Gladion tightly. 

     "You're so damn cute," she said, laughing. "I don't need a Stufful anymore." She pressed her face into Gladion's ripped hoodie. Gladion laughed and let go of Snow, looking up to the sky, which was awash with the glow of sunset. Another small shutter sound emitted from a bush, but Snow and Gladion didn't notice.

     "We should probably get back home now," he said. "I'll walk you to the professor's place." Snow nodded and held Gladion's hand as they walked through the forest back to Professor Kukui's house. After arriving, Snow stopped and stood in front of Gladion, her hands still in his. She smiled at her feet.

     "Hey...thanks. For taking me out. I really appreciate it." she said, her head still down. She looked up at Gladion, blushing. "I'd like it if we could do this again sometime?" Gladion smiled and nodded.

     "Of course. I had a lot of fun today too. Also, do you want to make it official?" he asked. Snow smiled and let go of Gladion's hands and pulled him into a hug. She nodded into his shoulder.

     "Yes," she said. She pulled away and smiled. "I now appoint you to be my official boyfriend," she said. Gladion pulled her into a kiss, just as another click emitted from the house behind them. Before their lips could touch, Gladion jolted towards the house. Snow sighed, and yanked Axol out of the same window from that morning.

     "Seriously. Axol. What did I say about stalking?" she said. Axol burst into crazy laughter, rolling on the grassy ground. He held out his neon orange Rotom Phone to Gladion and Snow.

     "I got some great photos though," he said. Snow swiped through a set of three photos: the two on the beach, peeking over to see that Bewear and Stufful, and finally, a beautifully lit image of Gladion and Snow, their faces close against the sunset. Snow yanked the phone out of Axol's hands, and sent the last photo to herself, and handed it back to Axol.

     "At least you got the composition on the last one right," she muttered to herself, and then pecked Gladion on the lips. "It's official, then. We're dating." Gladion smiled and let go of Snow.

     "See you next time," he said to her. Snow nodded, and as Gladion walked away, turned into the house, dragging Axol by the ear. 

     "You small child," she said with a laugh, looking down at Axol. "What a day."