CHAPTER FORTY - DETECTIVE MULRAINE

40.

DETECTIVE MULRAINE

From the pavement, Detective Mulraine was looking at the remains of the house that used to be owned by Rose Freer. The road had been closed off for an hour already. The firemen had left after declaring the structure safe, allowing the forensics team to do their job.

What a mess, he thought. He looked at the hole in the wall where the window used to be. There was a body lying in the road, covered by a blanket. The forensics team had already finished with her.

"Where do we start, sir?" asked a PC close by.

"What's your name, son?" asked Detective Mulraine.

"Stokes, sir. PC Stokes."

"Okay, PC Stokes. For starters, I've never seen anything like this before so we'll just start out here and work our way forwards, trying not to get in the way."

"Okay, sir."

"The body." Mulraine nodded at the blanket. "Do we know who it is?"

"Yes, sir. Her name is Rose Freer. She was the owner of the house and the only body we've been able to identify as yet."

Detective Mulraine raised an eyebrow. "How many casualties?"

PC Stokes consulted his notebook. "Nine – including Mrs Freer."

"Why haven't we been able to identify the casualties?"

"The fire has burnt away all evidence, sir. We may have to consult dental records."

"Were there any witnesses?"

"No one saw what happened, sir. But, one neighbour said that Mrs Freer lived alone."

"Really? Who were the others then?"

"We can only guess about two of them, sir."

"Is this neighbour still around?"

"Yes, sir. She's standing over there." He pointed towards a small group of onlookers. "Her name's Jane Higgins. Apparently, she's friends with Mrs Freer."

"Okay. I'll have a word with her." Mulraine walked over to the group. "Mrs Higgins?"

An elderly lady in a warm-looking blue coat smiled at him. Mulraine could see the bottom of a white nightgown protruding from the bottom of the coat.

"Miss Higgins," she corrected.

"My apologies, Miss Higgins. Are you warm enough?"

"Oh quite. Did you want to ask something, dear?"

"Yes. First, my name is Detective Mulraine. How well did you know Mrs Freer?"

"She was a good friend. We only knew each other as neighbours but I often visited her."

"How many friends did she have, Miss Higgins?"

"I don't know for sure, but I do know that, apart from myself, only two others were regular visitors."

"Only two?"

"Yes. Her best friend who was always there. Her name is Elsie Boothroyd. She lives several streets away."

"Do you have an address for Mrs Boothroyd?"

"I gave it to the other officer."

"It's in my notes," said PC Stokes.

"Okay. Has anyone checked that address yet?"

"Not yet."

"Miss Higgins. Who was the other regular friend?"

"Ah yes. Him. He has only recently been going round. For about six months I think."

"He?"

"Yes. I believe he had started dating Rose."

"Do you already have his name, Stokes?"

"Yes, sir. And his address."

"You say there were only two regular visitors. Did Rose hold a lot of parties?"

"Oh no, sir. Last night was the only one I can remember."

"Are any of the vehicles around here unfamiliar?"

"That blue one," Miss Higgins pointed, "that silver one and that green one. There may be others. I'm not really interested in cars."

Detective Mulraine looked at PC Stokes. "Have any of the vehicle's owners been identified yet?"

"No one's thought to check, sir."

"It seems to me that Mrs Freer was holding a party. It's the most reasonable conclusion I can think of as to why so many people were there. Some of these vehicles may belong to the victims. Some of them could have walked, come by taxi or by bus. I need you to check with DVLA. Also, check local taxi firms and find out how far away the bus route is."

"Okay, sir." PC Stokes was writing notes as he answered.

Detective Mulraine fished a card out of his wallet and handed it to Miss Higgins. "If you think of anything else – please call me."

"Do you know what happened?" asked Miss Higgins.

"Not yet. My guess would be a gas leak. Make sure you're careful with yours, Miss Higgins. Now, I advise you to go back inside. It's cold out here and you don't want to fall ill."

"Do you need anything else, detective?"

"If we have any follow-up questions we will come to your home. Thanks again for your help."

Detective Mulraine walked back to Rose Freer's house and looked, once again, at the carnage. He could see several blackened lumps on the floor. Remains of furniture were also visible. Everywhere he looked was black and damp or dripping with water from where the firemen had put out the fire.

"Do we know how it started?"

"The fire investigator said the kitchen. Most likely the oven, sir."

"Forensics will let us know of anything untoward later. I see no point in us poking about in there, getting in their way. Let's check out these addresses that Miss Higgins gave us."

"You want me to come with you, sir?"

"You are finished here?"

"Yes, sir."

"Then yes. You come with me. Hop in." Mulraine got in his grey Mondeo and PC Stokes joined him.

"Let's see if either of Rose's friends are home. My guess is that they will be two of the eight bodies in there." Detective Mulraine drove slowly away from the scene. His first stop was only minutes away.