CHAPTER TWENTY-SEVEN - IMOGEN LEBUTT / OSCAR TOMKINS

27.

IMOGEN LEBUTT / OSCAR TOMKINS

Imogen heard a knock on her door and a smile formed on her face. She no longer had to watch out for Oscar to walk past. She was so happy because they had been a couple since January. She walked briskly to her door and opened it.

"Hello, Imogen," said Oscar.

They briefly hugged in the doorway before she stood to the side to allow him into her flat. She noticed he was carrying a plastic shopping bag as he walked past. She closed the door and joined him in her lounge where he had already sat down and begun unwrapping his sandwiches.

"How's Joy?"

"She's fine, Oscar. What's in the bag?"

"Oh yes." He reached for the bag and looked at Imogen as he paused with one arm still inside the bag. "I felt bad last week. I know my present wasn't right for her so..." He removed a box wrapped in birthday paper with a little pink bow attached to the top.

"Oh, Oscar." Imogen had her hands in front of her face. "Your present was fine. I told you to ignore my mother. She has strong opinions."

"Just the same. I hope this will be a little more appropriate." He offered the present to Imogen.

She held her hand up. "No. Wait a second." She left the lounge and came back carrying a confused-looking baby girl. She sat next to Oscar and held Joy upright on her lap. "Look what uncle Oscar has brought you." She nodded at him.

Oscar placed the present on Joy's lap and Imogen held it steady with her free hand. Joy looked at the pretty pink wrapping paper and smacked it then pulled at the bow, which came off in her hand and went straight to her mouth.

"No, no, Joy." Imogen looked at Oscar.

"Oh... yes." Oscar plucked the bow from Joy's fingers and started tapping the present.

Joy looked back down and smiled then smacked it again.

"You'll have to help her, Oscar."

"Of course." He tore a little of the paper then guided Joy's little hand towards the tear. He managed to work one of her fingers into the tear.

Joy pulled her hand away to smack it again and tore some of the paper away. She liked the sound of the paper tearing and saw there was something underneath. She giggled then reached out for the paper. She pulled at it and some came off in her hand which, again, went straight to her mouth.

Oscar was ready this time and removed it before it reached the intended goal. He helped her with the rest of the paper then opened the box. Inside was a small hand-stitched doll. "The lady in the shop said it was safe for one-year-olds."

A tear welled in Imogen's eye. "It's lovely, Oscar. It's just the right size for her."

Joy had the doll in her hands and was shaking it up and down then she decided to put it in her mouth again. The doll's head was too big to fit though and it fell as she loosened her grip.

"Is she hungry?" asked Oscar.

"She might be. She normally cries when she's hungry though. All babies put everything in their mouths."

Oscar sat back and began to eat his sandwiches. "Would you like one, Imogen?"

"No thanks. My soup will be ready soon." Imogen lifted Joy slightly then lay her back in her arms. "Let's see if she's hungry." She parted her dressing gown and guided Joy towards her nipple.