CHAPTER SIXTY-THREE - DETECTIVE MULRAINE

63.

DETECTIVE MULRAINE

Detective Mulraine was pacing around Captain Chapman's office. "I know he did it, sir."

"We need evidence," replied the captain.

"That's just it. We don't have any. He wasn't physically at any of the crime scenes. He never touched any of the victims. We can't prove any of it."

"I've had verification from ten different experts in hypnotism. They all say the same thing. It's not possible to program a person to commit murder or, indeed, suicide if it goes against their moral code. Some of them don't think it's possible even then."

"I know. He still managed it somehow."

"Have you figured out his motive yet?"

"I may have."

"Are you going to share?"

"I can't prove it yet."

"Forget what you can prove. Tell me your thoughts. And sit down. All that pacing is giving me neckache."

Robert sat and started drumming his fingers on the desk. He saw a frown on Captain Chapman's face and became aware of what his fingers were doing. He clasped his hands together. "We know that his family's killers went to prison so no motive there but not all of them were on trial. I think he may blame everyone involved in the trial for the fact that one of the gang was let off."

"Simpson gave us the whole gang at great personal risk. If it wasn't for him we may never have had a trial."

"You know that. I know that. But does Mr Morton?"

"When he demonstrated the hypnotism, he seemed, to me, to be telling the truth. He was adamant that he didn't have anything to do with the murders. Hell. If we weren't going down the hypnotism route, we'd still be thinking most of them were accidents."

Robert started drumming his fingers on the desk again. "How do we get him off the streets?"

Captain Chapman was looking past Detective Mulraine. "That may have just been answered for us – look."

Robert turned to look out of Captain Chapman's window and saw Henry Morton, and another man, being escorted to his desk. "Has he come to see me?"

"You'd better go and see what he wants."

Robert left the captain's office and approached Mr Morton.

"Ah. Sir. Mr Morton wanted to see you. I thought you'd be at your desk," said the officer who had shown them in.

"Okay. Thank you. You may go." Robert looked at both men before sitting down. "Hello, Mr Morton." He held out his hand which Henry shook. He offered his hand to the second man. "I don't believe we've met."

"Esteban Edmire, Detective Mulraine," said Esteban as he shook hands with Robert. "I'm a work colleague of Henry's."

"Ah. What can I do for you, gentlemen?"

Henry dove straight in. "I need you to lock me away for the public's safety."

Robert couldn't keep the surprise from his face. "Sorry... What?"

Henry looked around at all the people around him at their desks and lowered his voice. "I believe I'm responsible for all those deaths."

"He needs a solicitor," said Esteban. He looked at Henry. "You need a solicitor before you say anything else."

"That's as may be," said Henry. "But first I need to be held in isolation, away from the public."

"I think we'll take this to an interview room. Don't say anything else." Robert stood up and signalled for the captain. "Follow me." Robert walked over to interview room one with Henry and Esteban following. He opened the door. "Make yourselves comfortable. I'll be with you shortly. Same solicitor as last time?"