CHAPTER FIFTY-ONE - DETECTIVE MULRAINE

51.

DETECTIVE MULRAINE

The DVLA check had given him three addresses and three missing persons. Robert had tasked two officers to check the local dentists in all three areas. He knew that the confirmation from the dental records would match all three missing people. There was no other explanation for their vehicles to be in Mrs Freer's area. They must have been at the party.

He picked up his phone and dialled the number of Amoli Abdel Salam. Amoli was the wife of one of the missing people on Robert's DVLA list. The phone rang four times before it was answered.

'Hello! Surinder! Is that you?'

"Err... sorry madam. No. I am Detective Mulraine from the Hinckley police. I spoke to you a few days ago."

'Oh... yes. Sorry. I was hoping...' Amoli's voice trailed off.

"I'm sorry but I don't have any news for you yet. I was hoping you might be able to answer a few questions."

'Of course, detective.'

"Okay. Did your husband know anyone by the name of Rose Freer?"

'I don't think so.'

"Your husband's car was found abandoned not far from her home. Do you know why he was in Hinckley, Mrs Abdel Salam?"

'He had been invited to a party.'

A smile crept across Robert's face. "A party. Just him?"

'Hang on. Are you saying there wasn't a party? Was he having an affair?'

"No no, Mrs Abdel Salam. We believe he was at a party."

'Then why hasn't he come home?'

"I'm afraid I can't divulge my suspicions yet. If Mr Abdel Salam didn't know Rose Freer, why did he attend her party?"

'I didn't know her name. He attended the party because he'd been part of a jury. The party was for members of the jury. They had all become friends.'

Robert almost dropped the phone. "A jury, did you say?"

'Yes, detective. You will let me know if you find him – won't you?'

"Of course, madam. Do you happen to know who was on trial?"

'He never said.'

"Thank you, madam. I will be in touch soon." Robert put the handset back in its cradle and sat back in his chair. I wonder, he thought.

He sat forward again and started typing on his computer. Up popped a list of recent trials. He selected the first one from the day before the gas explosion. He knew that it was too close for it to be a possibility but he didn't want to miss his target because he'd skipped a little extra work.

Robert had been searching for half-an-hour when PC Stokes approached him. "Hello, sir. I've got the dental records back from the search. We have names for all but one, sir."

"Only names?"

"No. I meant addresses as well."

On the screen, Robert was scrolling down the information on the Morton family case. "Okay, Stokes. What are the names? I'm guessing one of them is Surinder Abdel Salam."

PC Stokes looked at the list. "Yes, sir. How did you know?"

"I've just been on the phone to his wife. His car was the silver Mercedes at Mrs Freer's place. She's confirmed that he went to a party."