CHAPTER SIXTY-NINE - DETECTIVE MULRAINE

69.

DETECTIVE MULRAINE

"Thank you for coming, Mr Hendry," said Robert. "Will you follow me please."

"What is the situation?" asked Stuart Hendry.

"I take it you've heard of the Henry Morton case?"

"Yes. It is unbelievable. I would like to meet him."

"You will do. But first, I need you to assess these people. I need to know if they've been hypnotised."

"I will find that out for you but I need their consent as the procedure is invasive."

"They should comply. I've managed to arrange reduced sentences for them if the results are that they were hypnotised."

"Good. Do you have any leads on how it was done? It is supposed to be impossible."

"I have a theory, supplied mostly by Henry Morton himself. That's why I'm looking into this. I can't go by his word although – it's looking increasingly likely that he was right."

"What did Mr Morton say?"

"I'm showing you a video. That will answer your questions." They arrived at a secure, private room. "In here please. We'll watch the video and then bring in the prisoners."

They watched the video. Once it was finished Stuart Hendry sat back in his chair. "Tell me again why Mr Morton is in prison."

"By his own request. He's not had a trial yet. The chip has been removed but he still feels it will be safer, for the public, if he remains where he is. At least, until Colin Pressman is arrested."

"Why?"

"Perhaps Pressman could inject another chip into him. He has managed it before."

"This tech is dangerous. It needs to be destroyed."

"We are in the process of obtaining a court order to search his building but I need more evidence before the judge will go for it."

"That's why I'm here."

"Yes. But we'll need to move quickly. If Mr Pressman knows we're onto him he'll destroy the evidence."

"Bring them in one at a time and keep them separate until after I've finished."

"How does your procedure work?"

"It's best if you don't know. All I will say is that I've perfected a potent cocktail of drugs that works in about ninety percent of cases. If any of them have had their memories altered or suppressed – we'll know by the time I'm finished."

"Are there any side effects?"

"Nothing serious and the effects wear off after ten minutes."

"Do I need to know?"

"Again, it's best if you don't know."

"Okay. I'll fetch the first one." Detective Mulraine left the room.

* * *

One hour later, Mr Hendry had finished with all five gang members and Casey Simpson. Detective Mulraine entered the room where Mr Hendry was writing notes.

"What's the prognosis, Mr Hendry?"

"Only Dwayne Soloman was hypnotised. I suggest surgery as soon as possible."

"Mr Simpson wasn't hypnotised?"

"No. His most vivid memory was about shooting Samuel Morton. He's the one who didn't go to prison, isn't he?"

"Yes. That's right. He provided testimony that sent down the rest of the gang and got witness protection."

"All of my findings will be in a written report and sent to you by tomorrow. This Colin Pressman needs arresting as soon as possible. In my opinion, he's a psychopath. He won't stop with these killings. Soon, he'll find something else to focus his attention on."

"Thank you for your help, Mr Hendry. I look forward to your report. Can I call on you in any future trial?"

"Of course."

"I'll call you once Henry Morton's available."

"Okay. See you soon."

Detective Mulraine watched Stuart Hendry leave. We're nearly there, he thought.