CHAPTER TWENTY-TWO - HENRY MORTON

22.

HENRY MORTON

Henry was sitting in his favourite armchair. One hand in his lap, the other draped over the arm of the chair. His right cheek pressed into his shoulder and his eyes were closed. The sound of gentle snoring and the 'tick tock' of the clock were the only sounds coming from the room. Spread out on the table in front of him, and the floor where he had released them when he fell asleep, were several photographs of his wife and children. Henry twitched in his sleep and sent a few more photos, that were resting on his stomach, cascading to the carpet. 

He was dreaming about them again. His memory triggered by the photo he had just been looking at. They were all running on the beach kicking a beach-ball around. Ellie, only three at the time, had been kicking the ball further and further away. They were trying to get her to turn around but the ball was in control. Samuel, aged seven, caught up with her and managed to turn her around so she was facing their parents. Ellie ran at the ball and went to kick it but she missed and ended doing a forward roll over the top before landing on her back looking surprised. Samuel had just stood there laughing and crossing his legs at the funny sight of his sister falling over the ball. 

Suddenly Henry woke up and sat forward - spreading the rest of the photos across the floor. The phone was ringing. He stood, rubbing at his eyes, before tiptoeing through the mass of photos spread about the floor. He got to the hallway phone and picked it up, "Yes." 

"Is that Mr Morton?" 

"Yes," Henry rubbed his eyes again. 

"Hello Mr Morton. This is Detective Mulraine. We have new information about your case. Did you want to come in or are you happy for me to tell you over the phone?" 

"Er ... o ... over the phone's fine." 

"Okay." 

Henry could hear Detective Mulraine shuffling some papers over the phone before he spoke, "Okay - here's where we're at. One of the suspects has come forward. He gave us the whole story in exchange for witness protection. Now - we still need to verify all this new information - but a lot of arrests are going to be made. It's looking like we will get your family's murderers." 

"Who's come forward detective?" 

"Sorry. I can't give you that information at this time." 

"Due to the witness protection?" 

"Yes. We don't want to compromise any investigation or possible trial. You'd be surprised what solicitors these days can get their clients out of." 

"I understand. How long before you can tell me anything?" 

"Some time within a week. After we've interviewed them all." 

"Okay - thanks." 

"Is there anything else you'd like to know?" 

"No. You get on with your job detective. If I think of anything I'll be sure to let you know." 

"Okay sir. Bye for now." 

"Bye," Henry replaced the receiver and turned around, resting his bottom on the edge of the cabinet his phone sat on. He sighed and closed his eyes. It would soon be over.

AUTHOR'S NOTE :- SORRY THIS CHAPTER'S SO SHORT BUT THAT'S THE NATURE OF THE WAY I'VE CHOSEN TO STRUCTURE THIS STORY. HOPEFULLY THE NEXT CHAPTER WILL BE POSTED LATER TODAY. IT'S OF A SIMILAR LENGTH SO THERE'S A GOOD CHANCE UNLESS LIFE GETS IN THE WAY OF COURSE.

PLEASE REMEMBER TO VOTE - THANK YOU.

S P LAKIN.