CHAPTER FIFTEEN - SAMANTHA MYERS / DAMIAN MAINE

15.

SAMANTHA MYERS / DAMIAN MAINE

"It's the Richmond gang," said Samantha.

"We're going," said Damian.

"But our shift is nearly over and they've got guns."

"This could be related to our case and a little overtime never hurt anybody."

"They've got guns Damian. I don't want to get shot."

Their patrol car set off for 'Richmond Park'.

"We'll be careful. Call it in."

Samantha reluctantly picked up the radio, "Control - this is car 118."

"Control receiving."

"We are responding to the firearms call."

"Be careful. There are three other units inbound and one armed unit which is twenty minutes out. Keep us informed."

Samantha replaced the radio on the dashboard, "I still think this is wrong. We have nothing to fight back with."

"Maybe not but we can help guide the armed unit in," Damian was concentrating hard on the road. He had both lights and sirens going but he still had to watch out for the unpredictable response of other drivers. Most got out of the way but there was always one that didn't.

They arrived at 'Ricmond Park' and found a small gathering in the car park. As they got out a middle-aged lady approached Damian.

"Officer. There's a boy over there. I think he's dead."

"Okay ma'am. Let's take a look," Damian ran over to the crowd which parted as he neared.

There was a white youth, around twenty, lying on his back in a pool of blood which was still spreading. His head was to one side and his eyes were open. Damian knelt beside him, getting blood on his trousers, and felt for a pulse which he knew he wasn't going to find. Samantha stopped next to him and nearly retched at the sight.

"He's one of the gang we spoke to earlier," she said.

"Yes," Damian stood up, "and he's already dead." He turned to the crowd, "Did anyone see which way they went?" He already knew it was a rival gang.

"The rest of them followed the shooters in two cars. They turned right," the lady pointed.

"Samantha. I've got to go after them. Can you handle things here?" Damian stared her in the eyes.

"We can't split up. You'll need my help," Samantha replied.

"We can look after him until help arrives," said a tall man dressed in running gear. "I used to be a soldier."

Damian shook the man's hand, "Thank you sir." He looked at Samantha, "Let's go."

They got back in their car and heard a report of three cars travelling at reckless speeds in the town centre. Damian set off towards their target.

"This is car 121. I have spotted them but am keeping my distance. There are multiple shots coming from all three vehicles."

"This is control. Cars 108 and 120 are almost there. Cut off their access to the motorway."

Damian spoke up, "Tell them where we are."

Samantha picked up the radio, "This is car 118. We have left 'Richmond Park' and are on our way. There is one boy down. He is deceased."

"Received," said control.

Damian raced towards the town centre ready to do whatever he could.

"This is 108. 120 is with me. Rugby Road is blocked before the island with the help of a couple of articulated trucks."

Damian smiled, "That'll send them back towards us Sam."

"And that a good thing?"

"Of course. We'll get to bag them."

"But they've got guns."

"Which they seem to be firing a lot. They can only carry so much ammo. The guns will be useless soon."

"Tell me again why we do this job."

Damian just smiled.