CHAPTER SIXTY-FOUR - CAPTAIN CHAPMAN

64.

CAPTAIN CHAPMAN

An hour had passed since Henry Morton had confessed to the programming of his victims. He was being held in a cell until an emergency appointment could be set up for him to have an x-ray to determine if he had a chip in his neck. As an extra precaution – no one was allowed near Henry alone and all phone privileges had been revoked. Henry had insisted on this himself. The video tape and Henry's phone had been placed in storage as evidence and Esteban's medical gun had also been taken as a precaution.

Captain Chapman closed his eyes and thought back over the video tape of Henry's hypnotic confessions. He would go down for the murders, but in what way? If he was being controlled by this Jack Jackman as he claimed, then there would have been nothing he could have done to prevent his actions. Did that excuse him? If it did, it would be a lesser charge. He could hardly be seen to be let off if he were involved. Captain Chapman rubbed his temple and opened his eyes. All this is giving me a headache, he thought.

A sudden urge to go to the evidence lockup overcame him and he left his office. He ignored everyone who acknowledged him as he went. He entered the lockup and searched for the ticket number of Shane Shaw's gun on the computer. He found it and used his pass card to enter the secure area where all evidence was kept.

He pulled out a cardboard box and opened it. Inside was the gun. The magazine was separately bagged and lying next to the gun. He took both out and inserted the magazine into the butt of the gun and checked to make sure the safety was on then tucked it into his trousers at the small of his back. He put the evidence bags back into the box and put it back on the shelf then left the lockup.

Once again, he ignored everyone who called out to him as he walked to the garage and got into his car. He had an appointment to keep with a killer. He drove out of his parking space and up to the barrier, waiting to be let out by the duty officer at the exit booth. He showed his identity pass to the officer without looking at him.

The officer was saying something which Captain Chapman couldn't hear but he continued to stare straight ahead. The officer shrugged and entered his booth. The barrier raised and Captain Chapman set off on his journey to fulfil Henry Morton's wishes.