CHAPTER FIFTY-FIVE - DETECTIVE MULRAINE

55.

DETECTIVE MULRAINE

Detective Mulraine pulled up outside Elaine Pedley's house and looked at it without getting out. "It's a bungalow, Stokes."

"Yes, sir."

"Didn't the file say she was in her thirties?"

"Yes, sir. Thirty-two. Is there something wrong with that, sir?"

"Oh no. I don't suppose. I was expecting a house."

"My sister is in her twenties and living in a bungalow. It used to belong to our grandma, but mum let her stay in it when grandma passed."

"Let's see if anyone's home. It doesn't look like it though."

PC Stokes couldn't see any reason why Detective Mulraine would come to that conclusion. "Hm."

"If our theory is correct she's already dead and in our morgue. Look closely at the front of the bungalow. Tell me what you see."

PC Stokes focused on the bungalow. "It's white. Got large windows. A ramp up to the front door. Two lawns either side of a central path. A low fence surrounding it."

"I said closely, Stokes. Here's what you should be observing. The windows. More precisely, the curtains are closed. I'll bet that the neighbours will confirm that they've been closed for around six weeks now. Also, the doorstep. There are two, I think, parcels there. It's hard to see from here. I think we'll find that they've been there a while. Let's go."

They approached the bungalow. "The grass is also longer than the neighbours. Could possibly be six or more weeks' worth of growth." Robert knocked on the door before peering through a side window into the hall. "There's also several weeks' worth of mail behind the door."

"Shall I try a neighbour, sir?"

"Yes. You go left – I'll go right. Remember not to give any details. Especially that we think she's been murdered, okay."

"Yes, sir."

Robert walked across the lawn and stepped over the low fence, passing the lounge window of the neighbour. He knocked on the door and waited. He noticed that his shoes were wet due to some residual dew from the long grass.

"Hello," said a voice from the other side of the door.

"Hello. My name is Detective Mulraine. May I ask you a few questions?"

"Can I see your badge?"

Robert took it from his pocket. "You'll have to open the door to see it, madam. Remember to put the chain on first."

"It's already on young man."

Young man – nice. It's been a long time since I was last called young man.

The door opened as far as the chain would allow. "I have to be careful. There's lots of crime nowadays."

Robert held his badge out to the gap and saw a silver-haired lady in a wheelchair. He lowered the badge a little.

"Okay. What do you want?"

"I need to know if you've seen Miss Pedley recently, madam."

"You can call me Penny."

"Okay. I'm Robert."

"Miss Pedley, did you say?"

"Yes."

"Knew her grandmother well. Neighbours for fifty years, we were – till her passing. Sad business, that was. Sad business."

"And Miss Pedley?" prompted Robert.

"Ah yes. She's a good lass, that one. Does her grandma proud, she does."

"When did you see her last?"

"Oh. Let me think."

Robert could almost see the cogs whirring in her mind as she tried to recall the past. A slight grin formed on his face.

"Must have been a month at least. Possibly a bit longer. Time does fly – doesn't it, Robert."

"Yes, Penny. Has Miss Pedley gone away for long periods of time in the past?"

"No, Robert. She mostly keeps to herself. She has had several fellows around over the years. None that have lasted though."

Robert removed a card from his wallet. "Do you have a phone, Penny?"

"Yes."

Robert poked the card through the gap. "Take this. If you think of anything just give me a call. Thank you, Penny."

"Is she missing?"

"We think so."

"Poor girl. I hope you find her."

"We'll try our best, Penny. Thank you for your time."

The door closed and Robert walked back to his car. PC Stokes joined him a few moments later.

"The lady I spoke to says she hasn't seen Miss Pedley for a month," said Robert.

"The bloke I talked to said it's been a while. He says possibly five or six weeks."

"She's definitely the one. Now we just need to identify her officially. Let's get back home."

They got back in the Mondeo and the radio started up.

'Come in, Detective Mulraine.' It was the captain's voice.

"This is Mulraine."

'Samuel Sansom is dead. What's the situation there?'

"There's no sign of Miss Pedley. It all fits, sir. She'll be the one in the morgue."

'The whole jury is gone. Get back here. We must convince Mr Morton to accept protective custody. I haven't been able to reach him yet.'

"We're on our way, sir. Do you want us to check out the local dentists while we're here?"

'No. I'll phone them. See you later.'

Robert turned the car around and left Miss Pedley's street, starting the journey back to Hinckley.