L|G 2

I WALKED into the living room to find my family sitting there

I WALKED into the living room to find my family sitting there. My footsteps came to a halt as my mother's head snapped in my direction. She offered me a bright smile motioning me to come.

With furrowed eyebrows, I approached my mother sitting beside her placing my bag on my lap leaning over to her ear not to make too much noise because it seemed like Abba and Safiyya were having an intense conversation.

"Mama, what's going on?" I asked as she turned to me, the same smile still on her face as she leaned close to answer my question. I had a feeling what it was but I was hoping I was being too paranoid.

"Hameed is coming tomorrow to ask your sister's hand in marriage tomorrow. I think you should call up Khalil—" Her voice seemed to fade out as I sat there paralyzed wondering how I could wriggle out of this situation. But that was the problem, I can't.

My eyes darted to Safiya who had a huge smile on her face, nodding as if confirming the news. I felt a lump crawling up my throat but I managed a smile.

"Congrats." I mouthed to her and she smiled, sending me a wink.

"Sumayya." I heard a deep voice call my name sternly when I snapped out of my thoughs. I glanced around the room to find everyone's attention was trained on me.

"Your father asked when Khalil is coming over." My mother spoke staring at me weirdly probably wondering why I was spaced out. She was probably going to ask me later and I prayed she wouldn't.

"I—I" My eyes bounced between my parents nervously fiddling with my veil wondering how I could say it without getting cussed out.

"Khalil and I haven't been together for some time." I admitted earning a gasp from my mother that was expected, my father's face remained blank, and Safiyya's mouth was agape her eyes bulging out their sockets.

"And you decided to tell us after we asked you? It is clear you're unserious about this and you've been making a toy of the situation. Any of the two, you'll face what comes next. Leave!" His voice boomed in the spacious room leaving the rest of us immobilized for sometime before I ducked my head in shame, not being able to meet his eyes.

I parted my lips to try to make sense of the situation, but the harsh glare my mother sends me seals my lips shut. I nodded pushing myself off the soft cushions silently letting myself out of the room.

I drag my feet to the kitchen gulping down a whole bottle of water holding my head in my hands wondering how my life turned out this way not bothering to acknowledge my sister walking into the kitchen.

"What you said about Khalil, is it true?" Safiyya asked quietly fiddling with the rings decorating her hands.

I let out an irritated breath. "It's true. I requested for a break." I admitted tiredly.

"Then that's good news." She clapped with a huge smile on her face earning a questionable look from me.

"You asked for it not him. Khalil loves you if you haven't noticed. No man will tolerate you and how you treated him in a relationship but he did. And still he treated you well nonetheless. You might not love him and I know I'm not in the place to tell you this, but he'll treat you well. He loved you more than you do for him and he's okay with that. You won't get another man who can do that for you. He literally knows you're not okay from a simple reply. Love comes after marriage." Safiyya advised her voice soft with understanding.