L|G 9

The atmosphere was still tense

The atmosphere was still tense. I stayed over at his parents house with Rashida watching her cry herself to sleep. I walked over to her adjusting the covers to cover her whole body and offered her a sad smile when I saw her tear streaked face, the bags under her eyes prominent.

I wandered out of the room to check on Ibrahim because I couldn't seem to find him. His reaction concerned me. I've never seen Ibrahim cry nor do I want something to happen to make him cry, but it is better to mourn than hold it in.

Unfortunately, I was met with the empty hallway and the faint sound of murmurs behind a door. I sighed loudly walking back to Rashida's room, choosing to take a bath as it was already time for prayer.

I closed my eyes letting the water run over my face as the thoughts consume me. The shower didn't take long as I stepped out, wrapping the plush towel around myself that I found in the cabinet.

Luckily, she had spare toothbrushes and cosmetics I could use. I stepped into the room letting out an exasperated breath when I realized I had to repeat the clothes I wore yesterday.

"Why are you taking a shower at five in the morning?" Rashida croaked out from her bed making me jump before looking over to her.

I offered a guilty smile. "It felt refreshing. Did I wake you?" I winced.

"No, I'm having trouble sleeping." She mumbled, laying her head on a pillow, her eyes following me as I walked towards the bed sitting beside her.

"Understandable. But you need it. We could get some pills for you." I winked earning a low chuckle from her as she raised her eyes to my figure, wrapped in only a towel.

"I don't think I need that." She chuckled. "But isn't it more comfortable for you to wear an abaya or something? You could wear mine." She offered.

I twisted my lips to the side before nodding, taking up her offer. I patted her head walking to the closet pulling open one of the double doors, and I was met with abayas of different colors and design.

I opted for a plane black one throwing it on, tying the scarf around my head as a turban. I walked out of the closet and met her still laying in the bed, staring off to space.

I never knew how that felt. Alhamdulilah my parents and sister were alive and healthy. I've never experienced grief nor am I praying to. I sat beside her laying my hand on her head, softly stroking her baby hairs that were untamed.

She hummed at that, snuggling further into the covers. "You're making me sleepy. I knew you had an ulterior motive." She mumbled, sleep lacing her voice as she drifted to sleep.

I cast a sad smile at her unconscious state, pushing myself to my feet, folding the prayer mat I left for her to use before letting myself out of the room in search of Ibrahim.