L|G 17

MY MOTHER CALLED ME EARLY IN THE MORNING, CRYING HER EYES OUT

MY MOTHER CALLED ME EARLY IN THE MORNING, CRYING HER EYES OUT. It felt off waking up to find Ibrahim's side of the bed empty. I quickly got ready making my way out of the house as early as six in the morning, already dressed for work so I can go to work from home.

I was worried at first, thinking the worst. Maybe something happened to my father, or Safiya. I couldn't imagine it but she said it was none of that and she will tell me when I get there.

The streets were almost empty as I cruised down the street in a faster pace than usual. As soon as I got to the house, I parked Ibrahim's car carelessly rushing into the house to my mother's room. I delivered two knocks on the door before pushing the door open, finding my mother sitting by the window curled up in a blanket.

"Mama." I croaked approaching her hesitantly and her head snapped to me as I called her out. Her eyes were bloodshot and I was quick to wrap my arms around her, embracing her.

"What happened?" I pulled away to glance at her face but she didn't budge, staring ahead with a helpless expression on her face. I occupied the other chair beside her, placing my bag on the play carpet as I stared at her, waiting for her to utter something, anything.

Jamila walked in a few minutes later with a sad smile on her face, her hands toying with each other as she took in the state of my mother, her eyes flitting back to me.

"Would you like anything to eat?" She asked.

"No not really." I shook my head.

"Okay." She mumbled as she glanced at the two of us before leaving the room, the sound of the door shutting emphasizing the silence of the room. I turned to my mother once again, placing my hand on top of hers.

"Mama, I'm worried about you, what's wrong?" I pleaded but got no reply making me sigh, leaning back in the chair defeatedly. I pulled my knees to my chest resting my head on them as I kept my gaze on my unresponsive mother.

The door was pushed open half an hour later as Safiya made her entrance with a hijab covering her whole figure. Her eyes darted to me sitting childishly with my knees to my chest, to mama who was staring off to space. She embraced mama and mama wrapped her arms around Safiya as soon as she did, letting a few tears escape as she did so.

It stung witnessing this sight. I came here as soon as I heard the news but she failed to even acknowledge me but as soon as Safiya came, she was already pouring out her feelings but at the end of the day, we were never close so I could give her that.

"Safiya." Mama cried out as Safiya pulled away, lowering her head to look into her eyes, her eyes roaming around her face wildly.

"Mama mey faru?" Safiya asked as mama swallowed her tears, bringing her hand to wipe the moisture from her face as she sighed defeatedly.