In the Peaceful Silence (Steve Rogers)

Steve Rogers X Reader

Warnings: not a warning but I absolutely adore this, I think it's one of my favourite pieces of writing yet.

------------------------------------------------------------------

It was late and (Y/N) couldn't bare to be in her room anymore. Fighting to keep her eyes open she shoved through the bedroom door, sketch book and pencil still in hand, and made her way to the living room.

Back to back missions all week had left her exhausted and she just wanted to enjoy the peace and quite, while everyone was asleep. There are two ways these things end, everythings either scarier at night or that much more relaxing, sometimes even a bit of both.

Tonight however she just wanted a change of scenery, the bed in her room drawing her into sleep when it was the last way she wanted to spend these peaceful hours.

The silent scratch of her pencil along the paper complimenting the humming of her song and filling the room with hushed noise. After a moment or two FRIDAY had decided to play the song at a low volume, something (Y/N) didn't even realise.

Steve had awoken, stressed and tense and worried. His sweaty limbs spilled out of his room and tumbled down the hallway to get some water. He was surprised to see a small lamp on by the sofa and (Y/N) sat on it.

Her hair was scruffy and her pajamas hung off her, far too oversized. There were deep bags under her (E/C) eyes as they bore into the page. The pencil scraping along the surface as her hand moved almost effortlessly. Her lips curled into a relaxed smile, open just enough to get the hushed, absent minded words of the song out.

"I'm Mr Loverman and I miss my Loverman. I'm Mr Loverman oh and I miss my lover. The ways in which she talked to me" the melody spilled from her mouth, she wasn't the best singer, but Steve was still mesmerized by her every movement. Her eyes drooped heavy until she felt the weight of the sofa shift under her.

Her eyes shot up to meet Steve's as he grasped a glass of cold water, she offered him a soft smile. A smile that could melt even the coldest of hearts and as she turned back to her work she just had to continue humming that tune that Steve found so angelic, so captivating.

"Couldn't sleep?" He asked after a moment, his voice quiet so as not to disturb the night.

"Didn't want to" she replied not even daring to meet his gaze.

"May I see?" She didn't hesitate before handing him the sketch book and he flicked over it. The face on it was hauntingly beautiful, scruffy hair and cracks running over the skin. A thousand ways to interpret the artwork, but he didn't dare try. He handed it back.

Slowly the night progressed on, they grew closer to each other. Drawing after drawing being completed, some by (Y/N) others by Steve and one or two that had both their input. Until (Y/N) pressed up against Steve, leaning herself back into his chest. One arm tightly wrapped around her and the other precariously drawing in the book that she held loosely between her tired hands.

The drawing was messy and scribbled as the small book seemed to fall back under his every movement. And once the picture finished (Y/N) hums gently in delight at the new drawing.

Steve frowns at her as she twists her head up to look at him with an approving smile. He thinks it's messy and horrible, but (Y/N) fell in love with it from the moment the pencil hit the paper.

Turning back she traced her hand just above the page, almost caressing the features of the drawing that are her favourite, but making sure not to touch it out of fear that she might ruin it.

After more than a moment Steve's hand reaches over hers to flip the page and this time she takes the pencil from his grip. Her hands glide over the page.

She draws another face, this one twisted in sadness as blood pours out their eyes and Steve wonders how she makes something so horrific so beautiful.

Once it's done and Steve's examined it for a moment then the sketchbook is snapped shut and set down on the side table along with the pencil. The lamps flicked off and FRIDAY stops the soft hum of the forgotten music, in a silent agreement that it's too late to stay up.

Steve's drifts to sleep as (Y/N) shifts against him and tugs a blanket haphazardly over them. And they both think they could stay like this forever, in the peaceful silence.

A/N
Please leave a vote of you enjoyed the chapter, I love the way this one turned out!