☆Say I Never Mattered☆

*Hi, authors note at end*

Patrick's POV

My mind fell into autopilot mode as those unneeded, and most definitely terrifying, words fell from Pete's lips.

"Is that blood?

That worried expression plastered across his face, the wide honey brown eyes full of confusion and fucking pity.

Pity

I absolutely loathe pity; its the silent emotion of sympathy layered with undoubted ignorance and trigger full thoughts. Pity gains nothing in return. Pity shows no sympathy though, the two may be close cousins in the lexis world yet they are polar opposites in meaning. Pity is a blind fools way of expressing care and understanding yet it also shows they're not atall interested in the matter at hand in the first place.

So as he throws his meaningless emotion in my face, I simply shrug away and ignore his previous enquiry, he wasn't ready to know about any of this anyway. Not now, not tommorow, not ever.

He followed my gaze intensely, I avoided it immensely. The atmosphere was suffocating, no words were spoken however the air was screaming with tension and Pete was the first to snap with it.

"Patrick! Answer me now, Is that blood on your leg or am I fucking going insane? I'm not stupid, goddammit. I'm not five, thats blood and there's alot of it. Tell me what the actual fuck happened now, Patrick!" His once warm, now seething, eyes bore into mine. I couldn't help but to flinch at his curseful raised voice, I could see the muscles in his neck flex as he demanded the, never to be told, answers from me.

The intimidation was overwhelming, the pressure was phenomenal. I felt like a dog backed into the corner; everyone knows you shouldn't trap an animal. They will defend themselves in any way possible.

So I pushed Pete away, both emotionally and physically. I heard his body hit the wall to the side of us as I took off down the stairs, my mind filled with doubt and regret.

I just needed an escape.

"Patric-" His voice was immediately cut off as I slammed his front door behind me, I felt the vibrations run through the handle I was still holding. I wasn't even sure if it was vibrations, or just the amount of adrenaline pumping through my veins as I shook like a leaf on his door step.

I surveyed my options. Where do I go now? I shook my head and closed my eyes as I mapped out the surrounding streets, houses and lanes. I had no reliable relatives to turn too, I lost the majority of my friends during the hiatus and I never spoke to the friends I made. Andy doesn't even live in Illinois and-and Joe? Joe. I don't even know about him. We haven't been on the best of terms recently.

My thoughts were suspended when I heard the distant sound of shuffling behind the door, my mind switched back on as I realised I still had my hand gripped on the chilled handle. I felt tension in the handle, the force of someone, Pete, trying to pull it down.

I didn't know what to do except, once again, run. I'm unbelievably pathetic, I always took the easiest option in anything. I waited until the tugging stopped and then I pegged it out the garden and down the road without a single glance back. My ears took in the desperate screams from behind me, I winced at how pained he sounded; the high frantic whining edge to his voice as he called out my name numerous times.

Tears pricked my eyes as I kept running towards the end of the estate, Pete's cries out of range now. All I could hear was the blood pulsing through my eardrums. My chest heaved as I craved still air, my legs beginning to ache and my cheeks raw from the harsh uncontrollable wind.