Chapter Twenty-Three

When I woke up the next day I was running late and Drew and Sean didn't help any. They wanted to send me on my way refreshed after a little quickie and I just couldn't say no. After finally getting dressed, I left them with a key and the promise that they would drop the girls off at daycare before they headed to work. Now I'm sitting at my desk trying to focus on my work and struggling because I can't forget our day together.

I look up when there is a knock at the door and Cassidy pokes her head in.

"Hey, Cassidy."

"Hi, Jade. Do you have a minute?"

"Sure. What's up?"

Cassidy steps into my office and closes the door behind her. Her normal cheery demeanor is replaced with a more sombor one. She stands in front of me, her hands laced in front of her, silent. The suspense is killing me.

"So, I took my son to the carnival last night," she says.

"Okay. I hope he had fun." Her comment confuses me and I'm not sure where she's going with it.

"I saw you and the girls there. You guys weren't alone."

I clear my throat and tuck my hair behind my ear. Now her comment makes sense. She had seen me with Drew and Sean. Her expression and somber mood still confuse me though.

"I see."

"I'm not sure you do," Cassidy says. "I saw you kiss them. Both of them."

"Cassidy, look-"

"Listen," she says, cutting me off and taking a step closer to my desk. "I am not one to pry into anyone's personal life, but I feel that I need to say this. I know that this is Vegas and there is this illusion that everyone is all free-thinking, but we do cater to some conservative clients and I wouldn't want your extracurricular activities to cause a problem for the firm."

"Oh." I'm not sure what else I'm supposed to say.

"I just think you should think about things if you want to continue here." Cassidy doesn't wait for me to respond. She turns and heads back to the door. When she opens it she almost collides with Drew.

"I'm sorry," he says and steps to the side.

I stand up quickly, the awkwardness getting to me. Cassidy just said that no one would approve of my relationship with two men and here is one of the men in my office. Cassidy turns to spare me another look and word before she steps out.

"Think about what I said."

"I'll do that," I respond.

She nods tightly at me and then steps out of the office. I round my desk as Drew steps further into my office.

"What are you doing here?"

"I just dropped the girls off downstairs and I wanted to come up and let you know." He steps closer to me and puts his arms around my waist.

"Thank you."

"So, we'll see you after work?"

"Maybe," I say and look up at him. His arms are around me and normally I would relax into his touch but I can't help but remember that my office door is open and I don't need anyone seeing us together.

Drew leans down to place a kiss on my lips and at the last second, I turn my head so he gets my cheek.

"Okay," he says, dragging the word out. "Well, call me when you can."

"I will."

Drew steps back and heads to the door. He turns to look at me before he leaves and I give him a smile that I'm sure doesn't reach my eyes.