Chapter Eighteen~ Cotton Candy

Song: Please Don't Go by Joel Adams 

A C C U R A T E

                            "Most nights I pray for you to come home                                     Praying to the Lord"

                                     Praying to the Lord"

I couldn't shake the lonely and depressing feeling which was not improved when the hospital came into sight. I sighed, even though I had faced my fear and been in there once, it still wasn't any easier doing it again. I walked through the double doors of the hospital and was hit with the smell of alcohol wipes and medicine. I groaned as my head started to throb like it usually did when I walked into the hospital.

Keeping Maddie in my mind, I walked through the endless hallways where many nurses were running around with their carts going from one room to another. I remembered back to the time I wanted to be a nurse because I loved the idea of helping people. That dream was on hold for now, or at least until I was able to walk in a hospital without wanting to puke. As I continued to turn the final corner and reach Maddie's room, I bumped into the one and only, nurse Laura.

Nurse Laura and I went back to the time my mom was in the hospital because of the accident. She had been the one to stay by my bedside and give me pudding every day against the doctor's orders just to make me smile. I loved her and I even remembered running to her when we went to her house to deliver a casserole to show our appreciation. It had been almost four or five years since I had seen her and now that I think about it, I feel kinda guilty for not visiting her more.

"Nurse Laura! How are you doing?" I asked walking closer to her.

The smile on her face was brighter than the sun. She grinned and her eyes filled with tears as she pulled me into her arms. She was a 5 ft lady with curly brown hair and beautiful brown eyes. I let myself relax in her arms and we stayed hugging each other for a little while.

"Oh, my little Doll. How are you doing my dear? I missed you so much, I've just been so busy, I'm so sorry I haven't called or visited you." Nurse Laura exclaimed.

That was Laura. It wasn't her fault I was terrified to step into a hospital and yet she was apologizing for not calling. My heart swelled and I laughed wiping the tears in my eyes which I had not even realized had appeared.

"It is most certainly not your fault, I guess after mamma passed, I kinda just disappeared with her too for a while." I muttered sadly.

I shook my head and looked up at her, she had a sad look on her face and I knew why. My mom and Laura had been the best of friends growing up. That is why when my mom passed, Laura spent a lot of time blaming herself for not being able to save her, but it wasn't her fault. It wasn't even my fault, that was something I was still coming to terms with. I saw the relationship my mamma had with Laura and it reminded me of the friendship that Lilly and I had. I can't imagine the pain Laura went through when she lost mamma because I probably wouldn't make it through life without Lilly.