Chapter Nineteen~ A Sprinkle of Invalidated Jealousy

LISTEN TO THE SONG. OKIE. HAPPY READING. It's called Bad News...enjoy!

                              "Long nights are getting longer                                Can't bury this anxiety                                 It's only getting stronger                                  I tried but I can't fake it"

                                Can't bury this anxiety
                                 It's only getting stronger
                                  I tried but I can't fake it"

"Are you kidding me??" I exclaimed, this was messed up on a completely different level. How can they do this to us? They were literally about to tear apart my family without even thinking twice. The nurse looked at me with sympathy in her eyes, but it was fake, they were all so effing fake.

"I'm sorry dear, but you need to get the money to us sooner or later anyway. We've kept her here too long without any payment. Her chemo is already costly as it is. Maybe you should consider getting a loan or calling your-" I glared at her, and she shut her mouth before she even finished the sentence. 

We all knew what she was about to say, I just didn't want to hear it. It was crazy. I looked at Jayden who looked as if he were ready to pass out in the next two minutes. The nurse gave me a sympathetic pat on the shoulder before strutting away.

I sat down on the hospital chair, buried my face into my hands, and tugged at my hair. Jayden was pacing the halls as if he were practicing for the runway or something. One year ago, Jayden and I had come back from school to see our mom passed out on the ground, panicking we had taken her to the hospital to find out that she had Cancer. 

That was the scariest night of our lives, our mom was our best friend, no matter what happened she had always been there for us. The simple thought of losing her, and I had a near heart attack. Ever since then when we found out, I decided to quit Football and just focus on taking care of my mom and...well working. Recently, I'd started taking as many shifts as possible, even if it meant missing school. I was going enough to pass. I had to do it. But it still wasn't enough. I hated that.

When Jayden found out I had gotten a job at the local Mechanics shop he freaked out, also wanting to help in any way possible, it took weeks of convincing to finally get him to believe that the only way he could help my continuing to live life, because in reality only one of us needed to put our life on hold for mom; and I had no problem doing it so Jayden didn't have to. Distancing myself from all my friends was one of the hardest things I've ever had to do, but I couldn't tell them, I wasn't willing to take any sympathy or help from anyone. If I was going to do this, I was going to do it alone and my way only.

 Everyone on the Football team was a family, all of us always had each other's backs; so, the look of hurt on their faces when I told them I was quitting as well as my cold tone towards them, almost had me running away from the world in general. 

When I left I also left Ruby, though she may seem cold-hearted and jealous now, she wasn't always like that. Ruby and I had been dating for two months before I heard about what happened with my mom; I was never in love with her, I knew that. 15 year old me was just obsessed with the idea of love. Nevertheless, I never should've treated her the way I did. I pushed her away with no explanation, that's not fair.