Part 1

15 September 1980

9:00am Monday

-----

Due to unforeseen circumstances, you had to change location on short notice. Not just that, but you had to give up working a job you quite liked.

That was too bad, you supposed. Regardless, you found yourself living in North London. At the very least, it wouldn't be hard to find employment in the city.

You began the morning in a coffee house having breakfast. You hadn't gotten around to grocery shopping just yet. More urgent on your mind was the matter of finding a job. You had one leg crossed over the other, holding a scone loosely in one hand, while browsing the classified section of the newspaper. 

You needed something short-term to pay the bills before you could look for a better prospect. One enquiry in particular caught your eye:

WANTED - Temporary Secretary Position:

Females preferred, proficient in typography, good compensation.

Apply 53 Jermyn Street suite 110 between 4-5pm Monday through Friday.

This seemed to be perfect for what you were looking for, a temporary position that fit your skill set. You were no stranger to writing with typewriters, and something low-key like this would be a good placeholder. 

You marked the posting, and resolved to stop by in the afternoon.

---

You arrived at 53 Jermyn Street , entering the office building through tall glass doors. The interior was rather modern looking. You walked to the building directory, running your eyes along the different names before finding the one you were searching for.

Suite 110 - J.P McCartney, LTD: 

Music Attorney at Law.

You took the lift to the needed floor, then made to the door, which had a plaque matching the directory's description. You turned the knob, pushing the door open.

The lobby was empty. You supposed the secretary position entailed working as the receptionist too. 

Large windows lined the left wall, looking down into the street. The lobby seemed clean and organized, a waiting area along the right end, complete with magazines and a plant. The reception desk was in the center by the back wall, with stationary, typewriter, cord phone, small waste bin, and filing cabinet. Not cluttered, but clearly re-organized recently, not worked in quite yet. The other door on the back wall likely led to this McCartney's office.

The only thing that stood out to you, differentiating it from other law firms you've been in, were the disk plaques on the wall, as well as a mounted Gretsh on display. 

You rang the bell on the desk.  After a few moments, the door opened, and a man came out. He wore a turtleneck and blazer, older than you, but younger than you had expected, maybe his late 30s. (With a face like his, it was hard to tell). 

You had assumed it would be an older, or "traditional" man, by the "females preferred" bit, someone who wanted a pretty young thing to look at. The "females preferred" was arbitrary, really. It was sort of already implied that mostly women would apply to a secretary position.