Unturned Stones

"Gary, don't leave me behind!" June called, running to keep up.

"Then hurry!" Gary called back eagerly, running as fast as he could away from the winding trail leading up to a famous mansion. Excitement pumped in his blood as he sped further, smiling as he ran the familiar place he couldn't be lost in if he were blind, despite being gone for nearly a whole year. Breathing hard, trembling everywhere, thrilled, he turned a corner.

June caught up to him a moment later, gasping for air. "This is your house?"

"Rai Rai... Chu..." Raichu breathed tiredly as he stumbled forward, nearly falling, wiped out from the exercise.

"Yeah," he nodded. "This is where I grew up my entire life. My mom should be inside." He turned to her. "She's never met you before. I've never so much as even mentioned you to her."

June stood up straight and eyed him nervously. "Will she dislike me?"

"No. Why would she?"

"I dunno." June shrugged and lowered her eyes. "I'm a girl. She may not like the idea of you traveling with a girl. She may not approve of me."

"You're just my friend, June. It's not like I'm introducing my girlfriend to my mom."

"I know..." June's head went down.

"Then don't act like that," he said impatiently. "This should be fine. I hope."

"You hope?" June gazed back up.

"Yeah. My mom is okay, I guess. She is. I'm sure she'll like you."

"You and your mom don't get along very well. I know."

Sadness began to build up inside of Gary, but he was also still eager for the chance to see his mother after all this time. He took a deep breath in and out, facing his house.

"You okay?" June asked.

He nodded, not looking at her. "It's been such a long time. Nearly a whole year. So much has happened." He chuckled lightly, his smile returning as he ran along the smooth path made of separated stones and through the grassy front yard to the door. He rang the doorbell and held his hands behind his back. I should've bought a gift, he thought.

"Who is it?" a voice called from inside.

"Mommy, it's me! Gary!"

"Gary??" his mother cried out.

"Yeah, mom! It's me, and a friend of mine!"

"Oh, my goodness!" The door flung open, his mom wearing a look of disbelief on her face and she gasped. She was wearing blue jeans, a white shirt, and white sneakers. "Gary!" She reached out and grasped his shoulders. She then went in for a big, strong hug which Gary returned accompanied with a kiss on the cheek.

She kissed him back and began sniffling. "Gary!" she said through tears. "You're home! You're alive! I haven't heard from you in forever!"

"I'm sorry, mom. Things haven't been too great and it's just been busy."

"I'm aware, Gary! I know of it all!" She held his shoulders and pulled back, her face going serious. "I have the news on twenty-four seven just to see if you're on it, and somehow you are every so often! Just recently in Viridian City?? That wild creature thing?? Is that what killed my daughter??"

There was something in hearing his mother refer to his sister as her daughter that changed the perspective of the loss. It was bad enough that Melissa was his sister, but being reminded she was also his mother's daughter somehow made the pain worse.