Speaking In Tongues

"Dark City's Pokemon Gym Leader has survived the explosion, as well as her referee and Pokemon partner, Bisharp," the newswoman reported. "They all are being hospitalized but it's been reported that they all are in stable condition. While the horrifying event is being labeled by authorities as an explosion by Team Solace's promised means to attack Pokemon Gyms, others have said this was not related to Team Solace at all! The sole witnesses of the attacks, two children who have chosen to go unnamed or seen, and their Pokemon, are claiming some other kind of literal monster was behind the attack."

The screen with the dark haired woman in a black and white suit now displayed Gary and June with their backs to the cameramen shouting out questions, escaping into the Pokemon Center.

"That's about enough!" an Officer Jenny barked and her hand covered the camera filming the scene, the view going all over the place.

The female newscaster returned. "Authorities have commented that the children were likely traumatized and didn't understand anything of what was going on, and insist that the attack was at the hands of Team Solace, despite the fact that the Gym had been cleared for bombs only yesterday."

Gary turned from the screen as the report continued. Great... he thought. My story is just the delusions of a traumatized child. At least my face wasn't seen... No one will recognize me.

June was nowhere near Gary, instead sitting as far away as possible, hidden inside of a phone booth in a corner.

This had surprised Gary. While he didn't mind it entirely, this meant something was wrong with her. As her friend, he knew he had to talk to her. I, as someone who was actually there, need to help her through this difficult time, he knew. Neither of us are alone.

After having been questioned separately by the police for hours, the two separated inside of the Pokemon Center.

Gary had wanted to know if they had asked her the same things they had asked him, but left her alone to give her some time while he put his words together. Once he was as relaxed as he knew he'd be able to get considering what he'd been through, he stood up from his chair and walked to June's secluded booth. He leaned to the side to catch a glimpse of his friend.

June sat with her eyes closed, her head against the wall. She stirred, but didn't open her eyes. Her cheeks had streaks from dried tears.

She knows, Gary thought. She knows I'm here. "June," he spoke carefully.

June's eyes opened slowly and they moved to Gary, but her head stayed still. "Leave me alone..." she whispered.

"June, please."

June's eyes lowered and her breath came out audibly through her nose. "Gary, this is beyond you; us."

"Huh?" Gary didn't get what June was saying. "What? What are you talking about?"

"Exactly." Her eyes closed. "I just need some time alone..." Fresh tears forced their way through her eyes and she turned her head quickly, trying to hide them.

Gary moved into the booth and sat in a chair beside June's. "Hey. Ju-"

"Gary!" June said sternly. She turned to Gary with pained, tearful, narrowed eyes.

Gary returned his own determined eyes.

June seemed to instantly give in, sorrow filling her eyes, and she looked away. "You wouldn't understand..."

Gary didn't speak, thinking up a number of responses that he didn't find suitable. "I'm not saying I will. I'm just asking you to talk to me. As a friend," he finally settled. "If I don't understand, help me to. The worst possibility is that I can't help you. But I can't help you either way if I don't know what's going on. So we're already at the worst possibility. Let's try to find a better one."