Chapter 22: The Photograph

Wavering Destiny
by Strawberry Moon Rose

Note: "Mizuno Ami" means "Friend of Water".

Enjoy! :D

Disclaimer: I do not own Sailor Moon or any of the characters. They belong to Naoko Takeuchi.
_________________________________
Chapter 22: The Photograph
_________________________________

The preparations were coming along smoothly, right on schedule. Strings of lights and Kinmokian flowers hung everywhere, giving the palace a jubilant atmosphere putting everyone in the holiday spirit. Kakyuu told the girls their help wasn't necessary and they may do as they wish for the next few days prior to the party.

"I want you girls to enjoy your time on Kinmoku," she had said kindly, "you are our guests."

Yaten and Taiki decided to postpone their music practice until Seiya recovered, leaving the two of them free time as well. The silver-haired Starlight dragged Minako back into the music room to practice her opening song. Taiki was headed towards her room when she spotted a short girl with a blue bob-cut up ahead.

"Ami," Taiki called.

She turned around, a look of surprise crossed her face. Ami hurried down the hall with a pleasant grin. "Taiki! You called me by my name."

Taiki blinked. "Oh. I apologize. Do you wish to be called 'Mizuno'?" she asked. She'd called her 'Mizuno' back on Earth.

Ami quickly shook her head. "No, no. 'Ami' is fine. More than fine," she beamed. She nervously brushed her blue bangs out of her matching eyes.

Taiki smiled. "Okay then, Ami. I was just wondering if you had a moment. I want to show you something, if you'd like."

"Sure."

The duo walked in a comfortable silence. Neither one of them mentioned where they were going, but their feet seemed to take them instinctively towards the library. They had to step around decorators and maids, going away at making the palace sparkle and shine with festivity. The palace was huge, and the walk took a while. Although neither one of them particularly minded.

The palace's library was the biggest library Ami had ever been to. Tokyo was a large city and had multiple, wondrous libraries that didn't begin to compare to the Kinmokian palace's.

Stepping through the doors, the faint scent of old books drifted through the cool air. Rows upon rows of towering bookcases were lined like ginormous dominoes. The ceiling stretched up towards the heavens, the walls filled with books of all sizes, colors, and ages. The library was dim, giving everything a soft yellow glow. Despite how busy the rest of the palace was, few people were occupying the library. It was quiet except for the sounds of pages turning and minds engrossing themselves into different worlds. An occasional scraping of a chair or the tall moving ladders at the walls dared to disturb the peace. Just standing in a place full of knowledge and wonder set the two of them at ease.

Taiki took Ami to the back of the library, weaving around tables and shelves. It was a secluded area near a crackling fireplace. The white curtains danced, revealing open windows as the wind swished them frivolously.

The brunette led her to the wooden bookcase in the back corner. Stepping into an aisle, she traced her finger along the spines until she stopped at the one she wanted. Taiki pulled the book out with a grin.

Ami cocked her head, trying to get a better look at the title. Its cover was violet and looked somewhat worn. It was blank with no title nor author. It looked more like a journal than a novel.