Chapter 18: Calyx

Wavering Destiny
by Strawberry Moon Rose

Haha just you guys wait, what's been going on so far is only the beginning. It's going to get real crazy with other characters :P

Enjoy ;D

Disclaimer: I do not own Sailor Moon or any of the characters. They belong to Naoko Takeuchi.
_________________________________
Chapter 18: Calyx
_________________________________

"Watch your step, Bun Head." Seiya helped her maneuver down the rocky, sloping ground.

Usagi stepped cautiously. The incline wasn't too steep, but she was sure she could find a way to fall flat on her face.

Crunch went the gravel under her sandals. The crickets' song was drowned out by a whooshing white noise. Usagi wasn't sure what the vaguely familiar roar was. She squinted ahead to see something rolling and crashing in the distance.

"The ocean," she breathed.

The salty taste lingered, an exhale of warm, moist air exploding from her lungs. The water looked black in the dead of night, the moonlight shimmered over the stirring waves. It seemed to go on forever in every direction. It was a pretty view from her bedroom balcony, but it paled in comparison to it up close.

She was so caught up by the sight, she stumbled. "Uah!" She fell forward, spinning her arms clumsily, only to crash into Seiya's warm chest.

"Whoa, I told you to be careful, didn't I? I knew that would happen."

Usagi's face turned red and she quickly pulled out of her arms. "Don't touch me so casually..." she muttered. Since she'd gotten to Kinmoku, she'd managed to crash into Seiya in the garden, run into a door, fall off a ladder, and now trip. Memories resurfaced of her skinning her knee at the park and falling down the stairs with Mr. Garayan, the concert director of the Three Light's. If Seiya didn't think she was a klutz before, she did now.

"Feisty, aren't we?" Seiya teased.

"Shut up." She considered pulling her hand out of the Starlight's, but she didn't. Seiya was risking getting in trouble by bringing her to the beautiful place, she figured she shouldn't give her such a hard time. She didn't want to let her hand go anyways.

"So, this is the magical place you wanted to take me?" Usagi asked. Little by little, the rocks got smaller and gave way to tiny pebbles of sand. They were strolling along the long shore now, their feet sinking in the soft dust.

"Yeah. I thought you might like to see it up close," Seiya replied. The moonlight gave her hair a blueish tint.

"This is the last place I would have guessed we'd be going."

"Are you disappointed?"

"Of course not!" This was way better than going to some movie or hangout in town. It was a secluded area far behind the palace, just for the two of them. Usagi loved the ocean and she knew she'd never forget this night - strolling hand-in-hand with the Starlight at midnight.

"Well, there's another reason too..."

"Huh?"

Seiya let go of Usagi's hand and knelt to the ground as if she was searching for something. The spaces between Usagi's fingers felt cold and empty. She wiped them on her dress nervously and squinted into the darkness. "What are you doing?" she asked.

Seiya continued to eye the shore, walking a couple steps away. After a few seconds, she waved for Usagi to come join her. The blonde hurried over. "What is it?"