thirty-three

scarlett archibald

Ernest Hemingway once said,

"If people bring so much courage to this world the world has to kill them to break them, so of course it kills them. The world breaks every one and afterward many are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry."

***

I've spent a week now grieving over the loss of Cedric. Grieving over the 'why' of his death. I've pondered and came to the conclusion of one thing; There wasn't a reason at all.

Cedric had never harmed or negatively effected anyone's lives. He was pure, loyal, and brave. He could make you smile on your worst days, protect you as if your life depended on it and love you like you were the only human for him.

He didn't die in vain either. He died with bravery and with strength. He fought till the very end. Cedric Diggory was an honorable boy.

Although, death is seemingly something so obscure to think about, I know Cedric is somewhere pure. He's sitting up somewhere light and beautiful, smiling that charming grin, his striking eyes glowing with blissfulness.

My friend Cedric died with glory and with a heart of gold. Deep down, past the heartache, I know that he'll always be with me somehow (As cheesy as it sounds), and that's why the tears have stopped.

***

I felt the twinge of heart clench as I looked at the watercolor painting beside my vanity. My face painted so beautifully and artistically, it belonged in a museum.

"I miss you." I whispered to myself, wrapping my hair around the heated wand.

A light rasp on my door made me jump as bit as I finished curling the snow white strand, letting the warm twist fall to my side.

"Darling, would you like me to bring you back breakfast?" Draco shouted through the closed door. My heart jumped at the sound of his voice.

I'd been pretty much locked in Draco's room or my own for the past week, crying till my eyes were swollen shut until I had to drift off into a dreamless sleep.

I'd finally decided to stop moping and get back to class. I know Cedric wouldn't have wanted me to stop living, but to live like he did. I was gonna go full Hufflepuff. Just kidding, that'd be nearly impossible for me, but I was definitely going to act a bit nicer than I had been.

I opened the heavy door to a concerned looking Draco, leaning against the frame. His mouth dropped and his eyes sparkled when he looked at me.

He was wearing his robes, his soft hair styled to perfection but his under eyes were shaded with a deep purple color.

I felt my stomach flutter at his dreamy expression. I'd dressed up my boring pin straight hair with some loose curls and tied a few strands to the back with a small black bow.

My robes concealed my normal uniform, nothing special. I also had decided to splash a tad of makeup on my face to cover my tear streaked face, hiding the outcome of a week of crying.

"I think I'm ready to go out again." I grinned up at his dumbfounded face, grabbing his cold hand.

A smile broke on his face, "You look so beautiful." I felt my cheeks heat up and I ducked my head.

I pulled him into the common room where a large group of Slytherins all whipped their heads to me. I gulped and shot them a small smile. Their whispers grew and I felt my nerves grow.