Chapter 9

(A/N: *please note: this chapter takes place after the events of chapter 7)

Strangely enough, as I hold my mother's body in my arms, I can't help but feel a sense of relief. Prim is no longer alone, and now they can rest in peace, together. I look around me, Haymitch stands next to me, understanding my emotions, Peeta and Willow wait in the car, but can clearly see what is happening. I have the most supportive family in the world. Although my mother has left me, I don't feel abandoned. She has gone to a better place, to help Prim and be with my father.

I plant a kiss on my mother's forehead, in hopes that maybe she can feel it from wherever she is now. I then place her on her couch gently and calmly as I take all her medicines, almost as a coping mechanism to have her with me. She may not be present, but at least I will always have a part of her to carry around. A lone tear rolls down my cheek, but not out of grief and sorrow. I will simply miss her. I will miss my mother, but I know, that my sister already has missed her. It is their time now, and one day, I will join them. However, today is not that day.

I take one last look at my mother, turn to Haymitch, nod my head and we walk out the door as he hugs awkwardly me from the side. We walk over towards the car, and as I get in the passenger's seat, the only thing Peeta does is cup my cheek with his hand. The small gesture shows just the right amount of affection and brings me a sense of reassurance. As my husband starts up the car, I engage in a completely irrelevant conversation to what has just happened, in order to selfishly take my mind off of things.

After a genuinely, ridiculously long time, we have finally entered the Capitol. As Willow is still mourning, I don't take the time to lecture her on out schedule as I normally so when we are traveling somewhere. We arrive within five minutes and everyone gets out of the car. Peeta grabs all our heavy furniture and appliances while I take decorations and accessories. Willow grabs her clothes and toys as Haymitch helps with Peeta and I's clothes as well as his collection of beer.

"- Seriously Haymitch? How much beer do you need?", I look at him with disapproval.

"- No need to judge sweetheart. Live a little, after all, you never know which day will be your last." he shrugs.

"- What is wrong with you? Why are you so depressed all the time-"

"- It's not about being depressed. If you're pessimistic, you're either right, or you're pleasantly surprised."

"- Honestly Haymitch, get help. I don't know why you haven't seen a psychiatrist yet, you obviously need one."

Peeta breaks up our conversation and we start to move stuff into our house. It is simple, small, and hard to locate. There are three bedrooms, perfect for the family, two bathrooms, (Willow and Haymitch can share), and a live-in kitchen/dining space which is absolutely gorgeous. The house is relatively secluded and private, however it is close enough to the main town that it isn't hard to get there.

I spend the rest of the day helping Willow and Peeta settle in. It doesn't take long for Haymitch to settle in. He sets up his wardrobe, bed, tv and a rack of beer. It takes around 2 hours. Meanwhile, I take a solid 10 hours figuring out my room and Willow's room. The dining/kitchen/living room is already set up for us. It is around 1am by the time I get in bed. It's time for yet another fresh start.