Chapter Sixteen - Year Three

Year Three

Hermione was walking down the corridor of the Hogwarts Express with Harry, Ron, and her new cat, looking for an empty compartment. They were on their way back to school after the summer holidays and already Harry had a glint in his eye that almost certainly meant he had something secretive to tell them.

They let themselves into a compartment with one other occupant, a man sitting fast asleep next to the window. The stranger was wearing an extremely shabby set of wizard's robes which had been darned in several places. He looked ill and exhausted. Though quite young, his light-brown hair was flecked with grey.

Hermione immediately noticed his small, battered suitcase which read: 'Professor R. J. Lupin'. She wondered what he was doing travelling on the train, which was normally exclusively reserved for students.

As they sat down Ron asked, "So what were you going to tell us?"

Harry told them about overhearing Mr and Mrs Weasley's argument to do with Sirius Black and the warning Mr Weasley gave him.

Hermione had her hands over her mouth. "Sirius Black escaped to come after you? Oh, Harry... you'll have to be really, really careful. Don't go looking for trouble!"

"I don't go looking for trouble," said Harry, nettled. "Trouble usually finds me."

Hermione wasn't entirely sure about this, but chose to hold her tongue. Merlin, she thought, Draco's going to have a field day when he hears this.

The trio spoke a little more about Sirius Black before moving on to discussing Hogsmeade. Hermione was frustrated that she had to try and dissuade the boys from sneaking Harry into the village.

The Hogwarts Express moved steadily north and the scenery outside the window became wilder and darker while the clouds overhead thickened. Mid-afternoon, just as it had started to rain, Hermione heard familiar footsteps echo in the corridor.

"Well, look who it is," drawled Draco Malfoy, pulling open the compartment door. "Potty and the Weasel."

Crabbe and Goyle chuckled trollishly. Hermione caught Draco's eye and couldn't help but smile, despite the new nicknames he had invented for her friends. His eyes twinkled mischievously when he looked at her; he'd been trawling up and down the corridor looking for his friend.

Draco continued, "I heard your father finally got his hands on some Galleons this summer, Weasley. Did your mother die of shock?"

Ron stood up so quickly he knocked Crookshanks' basket to the floor. Professor Lupin gave a snort.

"Who's that?" said Draco, taking an automatic step backwards.

"New teacher," Hermione replied.

Harry got to his feet, in case he needed to hold Ron back. "What were you saying, Malfoy?"

Draco's eyes narrowed, despite wanting to spend time in Hermione's company, he wasn't fool enough to pick a fight right under a teacher's nose.

"C'mon," he muttered frustratedly to Crabbe and Goyle, and they disappeared.

Moments later, the train began to slow down. Hermione was surprised, she hadn't long checked her watch and they still had a fair way to travel. Suddenly, they jolted to a stop. Distant thuds and bangs told them that luggage had fallen out of the racks. Then, without warning, all the lamps went out and they were plunged into total darkness.

The ensuing chaos was amusing to begin with, especially when Neville and Ginny piled into their compartment. There were body parts everywhere and most of them ended being trodden on, sat on, and elbowed at least once. The atmosphere quickly changed, however, when they were introduced to a Dementor.