Chapter Eighteen

Hermione was sat with Ron, who was finally speaking to her again, in the buzzing Gryffindor common room one evening when Harry threw himself between them, having just returned from Quidditch practice.

"What's happened?" he asked.

"First Hogsmeade weekend," replied Ron, pointing at a notice that had appeared on the battered old notice board. "End of October, Halloween."

"Harry, I'm sure you'll be able to go next time," Hermione said. "They're bound to catch Black soon, he's been sighted once already."

Whilst she still felt bad that she hadn't told him about Draco's suspicions, Hermione realised that they had made the right decision when Harry and Ron continued thinking of ways to sneak him into the village. Eventually agreeing to ask Professor McGonagall.

To nobody's surprise, McGonagall declined to sign his permission form. So, on Halloween morning, Harry sat looking very sorry for himself at the Gryffindor table. Hermione and Ron tried to cheer him up but it didn't seem to work very well.

Draco scowled as he saw his friend and the Weasel walk alone together into Hogsmeade. They were standing far too close to each other.

A few days later, Hermione shuffled into the Great Hall with the other Gryffindors after discovering that Sirius Black had made an attempt to get into their common room. She shuddered at the realisation of how close he had come to finding Harry.

Ten minutes later, they were joined by the students from Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw, and Slytherin. She immediately caught sight of Draco and, whilst very few people would notice anything different about him, Hermione could feel the worry emanating from him. The relief that filled his eyes when he caught sight of her made her breath catch in her throat.

Professor Dumbledore waved his wand and hundreds of soft purple sleeping backs appeared. Harry, Ron, and Hermione seized some bedding and withdrew to the side of the Hall. They spoke a little, whilst also listening to the rumours flying around the students.

Eventually, Percy shouted, "The lights are going out now!" and everything faded to black.

Hermione closed her eyes and, as she rolled over, she knocked into another body lying next to her. A scent almost as familiar as her own overcame her. "How did you get here?" she whispered so quietly it was almost inaudible.

"Everyone's too excited to notice much of anything at the moment," Draco replied. "I was so worried about you."

Hermione was surprised, it was rare for him to be so forthcoming with his emotions. When he was, she knew how much it meant. She reached out to grasp his hand and he gently laced their fingers together.

Her heart pounded. "I'm okay, I wasn't even in the tower."

"You could have been though, from what I've heard it was very close." Draco took a small breath, "I don't know what I'd do without you, Hermione. You're my best friend."

Even as he said those last two words, he knew they didn't quite match what he was feeling. But he didn't know how else to describe it.

"Will you stay, for a while?" she asked, on the edge of sleep now.

"For as long as you want me."

The school talked of nothing but Sirius Black for the next few days. The theories about how he had entered the castle became wilder and wilder.

The Fat Lady's ripped canvas had been taken off the wall and replaced with the portrait of Sir Cadogan and his fat grey pony. Nobody was very happy about this.

Sir Cadogan spent half his time challenging people to duels, and the rest thinking up ridiculously complicated passwords, which he changed at least twice a day. In her near exhausted state, this was the last thing Hermione needed.