Chapter Twenty-Six

Hermione was torn between either killing Draco Malfoy or finally kissing him. The Gryffindors and Slytherins had been waiting outside Snape's dungeon when he and Harry began drawing their wands on each other.

"Go on then, Potter," Draco said quietly. "Moody's not here to look after you now – do it, if you've got the guts."

For a split second, they looked into each other's eyes and then, at exactly the same time, both acted.

"Furnunculus!" Harry yelled.

"Densaugeo!" screamed Draco.

Jets of light shot from both wands, hit each other in mid-air, and ricocheted off at angles. Harry's hit Goyle in the face, and Draco's hit Hermione. Goyle bellowed and put his hands to his nose, where great ugly boils were springing up; Hermione, whimpering in panic, clutched her mouth.

Thus, here she was, yet again, in the hospital wing. Draco's spell had caused her front teeth to grow at an alarming rate. After Snape's derogatory comments, she had raced immediately to Madam Pomfrey.

When the Matron began to shrink her teeth and told Hermione to say stop when they were back to how they normally were, she... just let her carry on a bit.

Hermione wasn't sure how Draco had managed to wait outside the ward for her without being spotted, but there he was; leaning against the wall and looking frustratingly attractive. As soon as she walked into the corridor, he stood bolt upright.

"You're alright?"

"Yes, clearly," she replied, marching away.

"Please, Hermione, I didn't mean to!"

"I realise that."

Whilst, overall, she was feeling very pleased with her current dental situation, she wasn't going to let him get away with hexing her that easily.

Not even checking for other people, Draco caught Hermione's arm to prevent her from racing off. "What can I do to make it up to you?"

"I'll have a think and let you know."

Hermione flounced down the corridor, sending him a smirk over her shoulder.

Draco groaned; he'd created a monster.

The evening of the first task came around alarmingly fast. Hermione was walking down to the stadium reflecting on the whirlwind that had been the last few days.

Harry had come to her on Sunday morning and explained all about the dragons he had witnessed in the Forbidden Forest. They had spent every moment since then in the library, desperately trying to think of a spell that would subdue such a creature, and not been particularly successful.

Luckily, Professor Moody had shared some last-minute wisdom with Harry and, as such, she had spent hours with him the previous night practising a Summoning Charm. It was after two in the morning before they headed to bed, so Hermione was exhausted and filled with anxious energy.

She and Ron filed into their seats with the other Gryffindors. The stands overlooked a large enclosure composed of jagged rocks, tree stumps, and other dangerous looking debris.

Clutching her hands together in terror, Hermione watched as Cedric, Fleur, Viktor, and, lastly, Harry faced their respective dragons. She kept glancing at Ron who was turning increasingly ashen. Manoeuvring herself closer to him, Hermione bumped his shoulder and he smiled at her gratefully.

When Harry was caught by the Hungarian Horntail's long spikes, Hermione gasped audibly and unconsciously gripped Ron's knee. Draco was glowering a few rows behind them; he wished he could breath fire too.

Finally, it was over. The crowd cheered and applauded.

"Look at that!" Bagman was yelling. "Will you look at that! Our youngest champion is quickest to get his egg!"

Hermione stood up and, dragging Ron with her, raced to the Champion's tent.

"Harry, you were brilliant!"

But he was looking at Ron, who was still incredibly pale. "Harry," he said, very seriously, "whoever put your name in that Goblet – I – I reckon they're trying to do you in!"

"Caught on, have you?" he replied coldly. "Took you long enough."

Hermione stood nervously between them, looking from one to the other. Ron opened his mouth uncertainly.

"It's okay," Harry said, before Ron could get any words out. "Forget it."

"No, I shouldn't have..."

"Honestly, forget it."

Ron grinned hesitantly at him, and Harry mirrored the expression. Hermione, on the other hand, flung her arms around both of them. "You two are so stupid!" she cried.

After the scores had been announced, the three strolled back up to the castle together. Hermione bouncing happily in the middle of them.

Draco was becoming increasingly frustrated with Viktor Krum. Since the first task, every time he sought Hermione out in their library nook, said Quidditch player was always lurking. He didn't think Krum had ever actually gone to sit with her, but his perpetual presence ensured Draco could never take his usual seat.

After a few days of this, he decided to make a stand. Prior to entering the library, Draco informed a group of giggling girls that Viktor Krum was in there and, without further encouragement, they rushed inside. Less than five minutes later, the Champion made his great escape.

Draco smirked and sauntered over to his rightful position beside Hermione. "Granger," he nodded.

She rolled her eyes but smiled. "Malfoy."

"Why is Krum hanging around here so much?"

Hermione couldn't prevent the furious blush that crept into her cheeks. "Oh, no reason."

"You're quite clearly lying."

"Well... h- he asked me to be his date to the Yule Ball."

Draco's heart plummeted as he stared at her. He supposed he should have expected it.

"Are you okay?" she queried. "You look like you might be having some sort of seizure."

"Yes, yes, fine. I'll be going with Pansy, I imagine."

It was Hermione's turn to stare, her eye twitched slightly. "Oh yes, lovely."

Draco had been sat for less than ten minutes but stood abruptly and cleared his throat. "Right, well, I best be off. Goodnight."

She watched him practically hurl himself from the library. Hermione wasn't inclined to stop him.