010| Chapter Five

Chapter Five

Tshegofatso had just landed in Johannesburg, from East London. It was a Monday afternoon, and Bongani had fetched her since Vuyolwethu couldn't. She found Mnqobiwesizwe waiting for her at the airport, and he dropped her off at Vuyolwethu's house. Heading inside she only found the chefs, Mam'Nomadlozi and Noluthando - Vuyolwethu wasn't there so she assumed he was still at work. After exchanging greetings with everyone she headed to the nursery to tuck Nosibusiso in since she was still asleep, and then headed downstairs to help Mam'Nomadlozi with preparing dinner. “ I thought you are coming back with Vuyo ”, Mam'Nomadlozi started and Tshegofatso turned to the woman with confusion written all over her face, “ Didn't he come back on Tuesday? ”, the older woman shook her head no stating that she last saw Vuyolwethu on Monday morning. Not wanting to ask too many questions, Tshegofatso just let the conversation come to an end but she was worried, to say the least. The last time she saw him he was coming here, but she also knew that Vuyolwethu was old enough to take care of himself. Wherever he was, he was safe.

After preparing dinner, Tshegofatso headed upstairs to the nursery to check on her daughter. She had her fed, helped her drink water and then bathed her, settling her into a warm pink romper. She stayed with her daughter, rocking her to sleep until she finally fell asleep an hour and thirty minutes later - then she headed to the bedroom she was using and took a long, hot shower. She remained in the tub until the water got a little cold, and then got out of the tub drying herself off before rinsing the tub and drying it up. For a moment, she stopped by the mirror and looked at herself for the first time in a long time. She looked- Different, beautiful. The bruises she had had already faded and she was glowing, differently. She smiled at herself and she was actually thankful to Vuyolwethu for what he did for her. If it wasn't for him-

She headed back to the bedroom and settled into her summer pyjamas - a simple top and short - and then headed downstairs in plans to watch and catch up on Star, a musical series by Lee Daniels. It might have been 5pm but she didn't think she would go anywhere so-  Not a second later after she settled down Vuyolwethu walked in looking like a snack. Scratch that, looking like a full course meal. He was wearing a pair of denims, a white shirt with the first two buttons unbuttoned with a royal blue blazer on top. He was carrying a briefcase on one hand, carrying his car keys and typing away on his phone with the other hand. “ Oh hey Tshegofatso ”, he greeted when she finally acknowledged her and Tshegofatso raised her eyebrow for a moment, surprised of the name Vuyolwethu had called her by. Wow- from MaNkosi to Tshegofatso in just a minute... “ Hi ”, she greeted back and he headed upstairs, to his bedroom.

He came back downstairs a while later and this time he wasn't wearing any top, deliberately. He took a seat opposite Tshegofatso but instead of watching tv along with her, he was on his phone. Tshegofatso tried paying attention to what she was watching but he mind was just no longer there. It took so much in her not to just run her fingers on those toned abs. “ Mam'Nomadlozi said you didn't come back on Tuesday, ubukuphi? ”( Where were you ), she bursted out unexpectedly surprising herself too, in the process.

Vuyolwethu raised his eyes from his phone and, “ So, are you my girlfriend now? Am I required to tell you all about my whereabouts? ”, he asked sounding a little bit annoyed to say the least. “ I was just asking ”, she tried defending herself.

“ Well, I was with Lerato and Olonathando ”, he answered Tshegofatso's first question, “ Lerato? ”

“ Olonathando's mother. Tshegofatso, can you just stop with the questions? ”, he snapped at her and to avoid fighting she apologized. She didn't understand why she felt so jealous when Vuyolwethu mentioned his baby mama. She felt like she was getting too attached to him, falling for him hard, but after her experience with Lunathi just made her doubt people's intentions regarding her. Vuyolwethu seemed to be genuine when he told her he liked her but she didn't want to end up with a broken heart, once again. She stood up in attempts to leave the lounge but Vuyolwethu grabbed her hand and pulled her down to the couch he was sitting on. “ I missed you ”, he said switching off his phone and placing it on the coffee table before focusing his attention to the woman sitting besides him. “ It doesn't seem like it ”, she responded.