Eggs

Your POV... About one year after awakening.

You: Shut up!

You're lying in your bed. It won't. Stop. BEEPING!

You: Stop!

You sit up, groaning.

You: Oh my GOD! I swear I'm going to smash that thing.

You can't. Emma would just replace it anyway.

You stand up and walk to the table that hosts the loud beeping. You grab the small device, flip it over, and jam your finger down on the screen. It doesn't stop.

You: What?

You press it again.

You: Off.

Brooklyn: Press it lightly.

You: That's what I'm doing.

Brooklyn: I can see that you're not from here.

You: Go back to sleep.

You get it to work finally.

Brooklyn: Well, between the loud beeping and you screaming at it,

She sits up in bed.

Brooklyn: I think I'm awake.

You: I wasn't-

Brooklyn: You were.

She grabs a hoodie she left by the bed and slips it on.

Brooklyn: I'm going to go make us some breakfast.

She shuffles out of the room.

You: Put some pants on!

The hoodie covers everything, but still.

Brooklyn: I'll do what I want!

You look down at the device in your hand. A phone. A smart one or something? If it's so smart, why didn't it shut up when you told it to?

You click the screen, and it lights up again. It had turned off while you were talking to Brooklyn. There are like, how do you describe them? They're boxes, kind of white in color. They're messages from people—three from Emma, one from Violet.

Emma: Please be ready for me. I'll be there at eight.

You look up at the time at the top of the screen. It's a few minutes after six.

Emma: I assume you'll be awake.

Emma: I don't want what happened last time to happen again.

She scared you to the point of almost killing her. You were asleep, she came in, tried waking you up, you had her on the floor in a second with your hand wrapped around her throat and your other raised, ready to start fighting until your opponent was dead. You feel bad about it still. She's too nice to deserve that.

Violet: Brooklyn hasn't been sleeping. Please, make sure she does.

She slept fine with you. Why isn't she sleeping well?

You: Sorry... Didn't... See... This... Until... Now... I. Will... Do. My. Best.

It takes you a long time to get the words typed out on the screen. You keep messing it up and having to delete what you've written over and over again. You're not used to all this technology. You click send, it makes a noise, and then... Well, you don't know. You think she'd see it now.

You set it back down on the table and walk out of the bedroom. Brooklyn starts as soon as you step foot into the house's main room, fitted with a kitchen, dining room, and living room: all one massive, conjoined space. Your room is the only separate room, the same length as the main room, but not as wide and with a bathroom at one end.