The Grim is a Murderer

Jack's POV

We reach the top of the stairs to be greeted by a hallway. I spot a large wooden chair near us. Large chunks had been torn out of it; one of the legs had been ripped off entirely. "Ghosts didn't do that" Harry mutters.

"Shush" I tell him. Everything was covered in a thick layer of dust except the floor, where a wide shiny stripe had been made by something being dragged on it with smears of blood. We follow the trail quietly wands raised. We near a door where the trial disappears under it.

"Nox" we say and our wands go out. As we crept toward it, we heard movement from behind it; a low moan of pain. We nod to each other. We enter the room to see Ron on the floor by a couch. He is clutching his leg, which stuck out at a strange angle.

Harry and Hermione dash over to him. I go over more slowly examining the room. Where was the grim? "Ron -- are you okay?"" Harry and Hermione ask him.

"More importantly where's the dog?" I ask him.

"It's a trap. He's the dog. He's an Animagus" Ron says pointing behind us. We whirl around. With a snap, the man in the shadows closed the door behind us. To reveal Sirius Black.

"Expelliarmus!" he croaked, pointing Ron's wand at us. Our wands shot out of our hands, high in the air, and Black caught them. Then he took a step closer. His eyes were fixed on Harry. "I thought you'd come and help your friend" he says hoarsely. I step in front of Harry.

"If you want to kill my twin, you'll have to kill me first" I tell him.

"Jackie?" he says in shock.

"It's Jack" I snap.

"Only one will die tonight" he states.

"And it'll be you!" Harry roars and pushes past me. Perhaps it was the shock of Harry doing something so stupid. But Black didn't raise the wands in time. One of Harry's hands fastened over his wasted wrist, forcing the wand tips away; the knuckles of Harry's other hand collided with the side of Black's head and they fell to the ground.

Black drops the wands as Harry wraps his hands around his neck. I grab my wand and Harry's. "Let him go Harry" I instruct and he does. He comes to my side and I hand him his wand. We point them at Black. "Any last words Black?" I demand.

"You gonna kill me Harry, Jack?" he asks us.

"If I have to" I state. I notice a livid bruise was rising around Black's left eye and his nose was bleeding.

"You killed our parents" Harry sneers. Both our wand hands quiet steady. Black stared up at us out of those sunken eyes.

"I don't deny it. But if you knew the whole story..." Black tries to say.

""The whole story?"" I demand.

"You sold them out to Voldemort, that's all we need to know" Harry states.

"You both have got to listen to me" Black says urgently. "You'll regret it if you don't...You don't understand" he tells us.

"I understand a lot better than you think" Harry sneers. "You never heard her, did you? Our mum...trying to stop Voldemort killing us...and you did that" he states.

"Harry you've suffered the most, what should we do?" I ask him. Before he could answer we hear muffled footsteps were echoing up through the floor. Someone is down stairs, but who?

"We're up here! Come quick, it's Sirius Black!" Hermione yells.  Black made a startled movement, but Harry and I give him a pointed look. We soon hear footsteps thundering up the stairs. The door of the room burst open in a shower of red sparks.

We all look to see Uncle Moony. His face pale, his wand raised and ready. His eyes flickered over Ron, lying on the floor. Then Hermione, cowering next to the door. Finally to Harry and I, standing there with our wands covering Black. Then to Black himself, crumpled and bleeding at Harry & my feet.

"Expelliarmus!" Lupin shouts disarming us both. He caught our wands, then moved into the room, staring at Black. I look at my uncle feeling betrayed. How can he help the man who wants to kill Harry? "Well, well, Sirius. Looking rather ragged, aren't we? Finally, the flesh reflects the madness within" he says.

"Well, you'd know all about the madness within, wouldn't you?" Black asks him. Remus seized his hand, pulled him to his feet embracing him like a brother. "I found him" Sirius cheers.

"I know" Remus says gently.

"Let's kill him" Sirius says madly.

"No! I trusted you!" I shout looking at my uncle with tears of betrayal in my eyes. I lose control of my Metamorphmagus powers. But I could careless if Harry finds out the truth. My godfather has betrayed me. "And all this time, you've been his friend" I demand.

"He's a werewolf! That's why he's been missing classes" Hermione adds. There is a ringing silence. Everyone's eyes were now on my godfather, who looked remarkably calm, though rather pale.

A/N

Picture above of Sirius Black.