Ron's New Pet

Jack's POV

A lot has happened since Sirius escaped on Buckbeak. Uncle Remus resigned as Snape let slip the nature of his condition. Now I'm pissed off at him and I refuse to spend summer with him. I'll spend is with Uncle Remus and the Weasleys. Dumbledore told me I still have to pretend to be a boy. Which I hate, but agree too.

The exam results came out on the last day of term. Harry, Hermione, Ron and I passed everything. Harry was amazed that he had got through Potions. He had a shrewd suspicion that Dumbledore might have stepped in to stop Snape failing him on purpose.

Snape's behavior toward Harry over the past week had been quite alarming. Harry wouldn't have thought it possible that Snape's dislike for him could increase, but it certainly had. A muscle twitched unpleasantly at the corner of Snape's thin mouth every time he looked at Harry, and he was constantly flexing his fingers, as though itching to place them around Harry's throat. Which is another reason I am mad at him.

Percy had got his top-grade N.E.W.T.s. Fred and George had scraped a handful of O.W.L.s each. Meanwhile, largely thanks to our teams spectacular performance in the Quidditch Cup.  Gryffindor had won the House championship for the third year running.

This meant that the end of term feast took place amid decorations of scarlet and gold, and that the Gryffindor table was the noisiest of the lot, as everybody celebrated. Even Harry managed to forget about the journey back to the Dursleys the next day as he ate, drank, talked, and laughed with the rest. Which I was grateful for. I wish he could come stay with Uncle Remus and I. But Dumbledore won't allow it and the Dursleys think I'm dead. So I can't stay with them.

Hermione and I returned our time turners after she dropped Muggle Studies and I dropped Divination. Sure it helped a little with my visions. But I loathed the subject. Besides now I'll have a normal time table next year.

Anyway we're on the train heading home. "It's the Quidditch World Cup this summer! How about it Harry, Jack? Come and stay, and we'll go and see it! Dad can usually get tickets from work" Ron tells us.

"Sounds good to me" I say with a smile.

"Yeah... I bet the Dursleys'd be pleased to let me come... especially after what I did to Aunt Marge" Harry adds. Feeling considerably more cheerful, Harry joined Ron and Hermione in several games of Exploding Snap. I watch them with a fond smile happy that Harry is feeling better. "So do we still call you Jack?" Harry asks me.

"Yes, that's my preferred name" I tell him.

"I still can't believe you've been a girl all this time" Ron says.

"Hermione figured it out" I tell him. Harry and Ron look at each. Before laughing. "What's so funny?" I ask them confused.

"Everyone thought you and Hermione were dating, because of all the alone time you spent together in your room" Harry tells me.

"Eww, no offense Hermione. But I'm straight" I tell her.

"None taken" she assures me. "We only studied and talked. I was the only one who knew the real her" she tells the boys.

"It was nice not to have to lie to someone" I tell them.

"So we can't tell anyone?" Ron asks me.

"No one, but I think it's safe to tell your family. Even the twins, they know when to keep something a secret" I tell him. Before he can reply. Hermione asks Harry a question.

"Harry. What's that thing outside your window?" Hermione asks my brother. We all look out the window. To see something very small and gray was bobbing in and out of sight beyond the glass. On closer inspection I realize it's a small owl. The owl was so small, in fact. That it kept tumbling over in the air, buffeted this way and that in the train's slipstream. Harry quickly pulled down the window, stretched out his arm, and caught it. He brought it into the compartment while I closed the window.

The owl dropped its letter onto Harry's seat and Harry let it go. It began zooming around our compartment, apparently very pleased with itself for accomplishing its task. Hedwig clicked her beak with a sort of dignified disapproval. Crookshanks sat up in his seat, following the owl with his great yellow eyes. Ron, noticing this, snatched the owl safely out of harm's way.

"It's from Sirius" Harry tells us excitedly.

"Dear Harry,

I hope this finds you before you reach your aunt and uncle. I don't know whether they're used to owl post.

Buckbeak and I are in hiding. I won't tell you where, in case this owl falls into the wrong hands. I have some doubt about his reliability, but he is the best I could find, and he did seem eager for the job.

I believe the Dementors are still searching for me, but they haven't a hope of finding me here. I am planning to allow some Muggles to glimpse me soon, a long way from Hogwarts, so that the security on the castle will be lifted.

There is something I never got around to telling you during our brief meeting. It was I who sent you and Jack the Firebolts..." Harry reads out loud.

"See! I told you so" Hermione says cheerfully.

"Yes, but he hadn't jinxed them, had he?" I ask her.

"Ouch" Ron says and we look at him. The tiny owl now hooting happily in his hand. Had nibbled one of his fingers in what it seemed to think was an affectionate way. I gesture for Harry to continue reading the letter.

"Crookshanks took the order to the Owl Office for me. I used your names but told them to take the gold from my own Gringotts vault. Please consider them as thirteen birthdays' worth of presents from me.

I would also like to apologize for the fright I think I gave you that night last year when you left your uncle's house. I had only hoped to get a glimpse of you before starting my journey north, but I think the sight of me alarmed you.

I am enclosing something else for you, which I think will make your next year at Hogwarts more enjoyable.

If ever you need me, send word. Your owl will find me.

I'll write again soon.

Sirius" he reads. Sirius had put in a note giving Harry permission to go to Hogsmeade next year. Which would be good enough for Dumbledore. Harry goes to put the letter away.

"Hold on, there's a post script" I tell Harry. I take the letter from him. "I thought your friend Ron might like to keep this owl, as it's my fault he no longer has a rat." I read out loud.

Ron's eyes widened. The minute owl was still hooting excitedly. "Keep him?" he says surprised. He looked closely at the owl for a moment. Then, to our great surprise, he held him out for Crookshanks to sniff. "What do you reckon? Definitely an owl?" he asks him. Crookshanks purrs. "That's good enough for me, he's mine" Ron declares happily.

We arrive at the station and say our goodbyes. Then go our separate ways. Uncle Remus apparated us. I unpacked and we then had dinner as I tell him about the last few days of school. He was pleased to hear that Harry and I had passed everything. Also that Gryffindor had won the house cup.

A/N

Picture above of the Hogwarts Express and on the external link of Ron's new pet.