nineteen. New

It had been one month since you broke up with Spencer.

After the breakup you both took a couple days off of work. When you went back Spencer did not. You hadn't seen him in a month. Hotch knew where Spencer was but wouldn't tell you, just that he was safe. As much as you knew it wasn't your place anymore, you were worried about what he was doing. Hotch is a smart guy though, so hopefully he was alright.

You, on the other hand, were not alright. You hated who you had become when you were with Spencer. And you hated who you were without him. Unsure of all of your feelings, your worth, who you really were. It felt like Spencer had just taken it all from you.

And you felt ashamed that you'd given it to him.

But you were doing your best to move on.

And then he walked in. Spencer Reid in the flesh. Your night immediately went back to that night and you felt your whole body tighten up.

You told everyone that you had broken up, but you did not share details. And as much as they wanted to know they respected that. Which also meant they had to reason to hold anything against him. So as he walked through they all ran up to him for hugs. You managed to stand up but that was about it. You were staring at them and eventually Spencer caught eye contact with you. He walked straight over and you took a step back.

"Hi." That was all that you could think of to say.

"Hi, y/n" And then he engulfed you in a hug. Your first reaction was to pull away, but your body had different plans as you melted into his touch. It was still somehow comforting. He pulled back.

"I know this isn't the place to talk, and that I have no right to ask you to speak to me. But after work? I never apologized really for what happened. And I know I can't make up for it. But I can do my best. And you deserve a full explanation. And so much more."

The team was coming up beside you guys. Spencer turned to face them.

"You all deserve an explanation, so if we could go in the meeting room."

The whole team except Hotch went into the meeting room. Hotch already knew and figured it best to excuse himself. Little did you all know, there was a much bigger reason why he excusing himself.

You all sat down at the round table and Spencer stood in front. He let out a big sigh and then began.

"So, for the past month. I've been in rehab." He paused to gauge everyone's reactions. Mostly yours. You were surprised to say the least. But not as surprised as the rest of the team.

" I had been using for the past six months before I went. And I was becoming a person I didn't recognize. I was jeopardizing cases. And relationships. " He looked at you as he said the next part.

" And I was hurting people I love." He took another big breath and looked away.

"But I'm back now. And I'm managing. And hopefully I have you guys to help with that a little bit. But i'm a month clean. And I want to stay that way. I get that this is all a lot to take in. And I'm willing to answer pretty much any questions." Spencer sat down and looked around at people's reactions. Penelope was the first to speak up. She was sitting close to Spence and put a hand on his hand.

"I'm sorry we didn't help sweets. But we're here now." Everyone nodded in agreement but you only stared. You weren't sure of it all, it seemed too easy.

But the day had to continue on. So it did.

Spencer and you kept giving these awkward glances. His presence felt weird to you. But you had a job to do and no case. Or so you thought.