Chapter 17

Jisoo's P. O. V

I kept on walking towards the fair after changed into appropriate attire. The tables have been cleared and replaced with a huge circle that's been separated from the crowd with a force field.

I can feel it's magic and my eyes land on a witch. She has ginger red hair all the way to her waist. She is in an army green dress that I actually appreciate. The color suiting her hair. Her eyes find me too and she gave me a slight nod. Witches can always feel each other's magic. And this witch seems powerful. I don't understand why she would help a pack of wolves. Witches and wolves usually ignore each other. But then again, my mother is mated to an wolf.

I spotted Aerin and Taehyung. They're having an argument, I turn on my wolf hearing but I can't hear what they're saying. I turned my gaze again to the witch and she gave me sly smile.  I could break the forcefield around them with my own magic, but attracting bad attention might not be the way to go. I started stretching instead. On the other side of the circle I see whom are unmistakably warriors competing. Some have their eyes on me. They remember me from fighting their friend Jihoon. Think of that I searched for him among the crowd, but he nowhere to be found. That's strange.

The king straightens his back. "Good afternoon, ladies and gentlemen. Today is the 47th competition of our wonderful pack. Each year we fight, take tests and try to thrive further than those before us. As usual we will start with the first test 'Catch the Bird. The one who ends up without a bird will be eliminated. May the Goddess vow in your favor." The warriors step forward into the magical dome, so I followed their example. Catching a bird? What kind of challenge is that? I looked around the dome but I don't see any birds. Some of the warriors shift into their wolf-form while others stay in their human-form.

"Son, will you hurry?" The King's annoyed voice echoes through the dome. I turn my head towards Taehyung and surely he steps into the ring. He ignored my gaze, though I know he can feel me watching him. So, he wants to play? Lets play.

The humming of birds fill the dorm. The magic echoing the sounds. I saw the witch watch them in concentration and I knew they are not real birds. One of the warriors jumped up and for a second I thought he will catch that blue-white bird. The bird however vanishes and appeared again behind him. I smiled as more warriors including Taehyung bounce around to grab a bird. The same happened to them over and over again. I watched them and each time the bird emerges again behind their back. I crouch up to one of the warriors who has just jumped into his wolf form to grab the bird. I made sure I stay behind him. The second he almost hit the bird I put my hand in the sky. The bird reappeared exactly where I thought he would be and my hand closes around him. I hold him softly and caressed his head.

The witch eyes are on me, annoyance written on her face. I walked across the ring, dodging the wolfs and humans doing their crazy dances for the birds. I stepped out of the dome and showed the king my bird. He nodded at me.

"Ladies and gentlemen, the first bird had been caught by our very own Princess..... It seems the Alpha Prince has caught one too." I turn around and saw Tae behind me. A little red bird in his hand. With the blink of an eye both our birds disappeared and I felt kind of disappointed. I would love to have a pet.

After at least thirteen minutes everyone but one unknown small warrior was trying to caught his bird. He stamped away in annoyance after trying.  Next to me I heard a woman chuckle.

"Every year he tries and every year the birds defeat him." I can't help but feel sorry for him. At least he tried. The King stood up from his chair, his hand still in Aerin's hand.  I smiled at her weakly, her concerning gaze an answer to my smile.

"Let the second test begin." The King voice boomed the arena.