63. Humans

12.11.20

Benji's POV

In the months following my reawakening, I grew stronger than I had ever been even before. Turns out that when you actually train your magic, you're able to do a lot more. As I looked around the room that had been my home for 6 months, all I felt was nostalgia. I never wanted to leave this place, but I didn't have any reason to remain. Mikey is graduating in an hour, then we're going to spend a bit of time at the pack house before travelling the world in search of more ways to increase my power. 

It wasn't too long before Mikey came out of his room, and I could tell that he was proud of himself. I would have been with him, but the school thought that it would squander my reputation and wouldn't let me participate in the big event. However, a lot of people were still lining up along the sides of the auditorium just praying for a glance at me, so I had to make sure I looked at least presentable. "Are you ready to go?" Mikey breathed, and I bobbed my head up and down. Mikey has always been a quiet person, but I learned that his voice gets lower whenever he feels a strong, negative emotion. 

"Yeah, if you are." I followed him out of the room, and the hallways seemed ready to burst with the excitement. The hugs and congratulations broke the section lines, and even those who had just barely made it were still joyful. I have to admit, the final exam for gold was hard, even for me. Clearly they expect their year 11's to already have the time and study skills to work up to that, but I don't think the test is fair to us. We can only achieve so much on our abilities. However, it isn't my place to tell these people how to run their academy. 

We entered the grand auditorium hand in hand, and everything froze. This part of being who I am used to terrify me, but I've grown used to the way they treat me. As much as I think I don't deserve to have the position and following I've grown, I've come to accept it almost. While my magic grew, so did my self confidence, and I'm proud of how far I've come. It definitely feels more fulfilling to claw my way to the top than to just end up there; this whole experience has helped me to realize that I'm way more than I give myself credit for.

The ceremony passed by me in a whirlwind, and it didn't take long at all for us to be on the way home. The blur of green rushing by me in the window reminded me of a time so far behind me, yet so close. The day that I thought my life would end out of pure sadness, but my soul was revitalized in new knowledge of my situation. I can't help but wonder how my life would have gone if I didn't end up being involved with the supernatural. Would I have ended up drowning in my sorrow, or would my friends have pulled me out? My friends! I completely forgot about all of them except for Connor. I should probably go visit and see how they're doing, but not right when I get home. Maybe in a few days? Oh I'm just so excited to finally be home.

As soon as the car rolled to a stop in front of the mansion, I leapt out of it before even taking a look outside. However, as soon as my foot touched the ground, I froze. The former pack house was crawling with human hunters, and there wasn't a single sign of anyone I knew. Where could they all have gone? Certainly a few measly humans couldn't wipe out an entire wolf and vampire civilization. My eyes were attracted to a movement in the woods, and I locked vision with a hidden person. Their baby blue eyes shimmered in an unknown emotion, and I could see even through the thick foliage that there was a thick layer of blood all over their face, and likely the rest of their body, that obscured their identity. I took one look at the humans before army crawling across the driveway, and I had the feeling that Mikey was looking at me like I was the most insane person on the planet. His vision is not quiet as sharp as mine, so I highly doubt he's seen the bush person.

I managed to get over to the bush without being seen by the humans, and I got up onto my knees once I was in the thick branches. I really should work out more, I'm having a lot of difficulty with just little athletic activities; I don't think it would be a good idea for me to try to run a marathon or do a huge battle right now. I probably wouldn't be able to make it the entire way through. "That was quite the production," a raspy male voice spoke, and I jumped out of my skin thinking it was one of the enemies before realizing that it was just the person I had crawled over here to see. It was impossible to tell who he was because of the thick coating of blood concealing all of his features, but I could have sworn I've heard that voice somewhere a long time ago. Or maybe only a little while ago? Time is all jumbled up in my mind right now and I don't have the brain for this. 

"It's been a long time since I tried to do that."

"It's been a long time since I've seen you." I turned to look at him again, and it was as if the blood had run off of his face.

"W-Will?"

"The one and only."

"I may still hate you for what you did to me a while ago, but I guess I can understand... I missed you a lot. I missed everyone."

"They're long gone now."

"What do you mean?"

"Someone betrayed us to the humans... Someone on the inside. I don't know who, but we're questioning everyone in the pack for answers. It's a huge mess, Benji... I was sent here to see if the humans gave any signs of giving up, but they saw me and gave me this huge cut on my face. We're starting to lose hope that we'll ever get out home back. I think the alpha is working with his  parents to find a new location rather close to settle in. We need you Benji, you're the only person that can help us get rid of the humans."

"You know I don't like violence. It makes my stomach swirl-"

"Well you're in our world now; violence is the only way to make it through. I missed you a lot and I apologize for what I did before. I ask you to come with me and talk with alpha, he wouldn't listen to anyone else."

"Are you sure you want me?"

"Positive. Now get that car rolling before the humans see it. I'll give you directions to our most recent location."