58. Deception

10.24.20

As soon as I began to feel as if I was out of danger, I was sitting upright on my bed. Sweat was pouring off of my body in buckets, and the warmth of my room contrasted the blood chilling temperature of the mountainous highs. I looked down at my hands in order to confirm that I was back to being myself before climbing out of my bed. The carpet squished down under my weight while I crossed the floor to reach my bathroom. Silence rang throughout my room, and I am already beginning to become annoyed by my limp again. It hadn't been there in the dream world, and I had grown used to every step being as long in stride as possible for a short person. I got to the bathroom and made sure that I looked well put together before making my way down towards the dining hall, and the eyes that trailed after me made me want to vomit. There's so much negative energy focused upon just me in this place, and I really don't like their constant dirty looks. 

Devon had already prepared me a plate by the time I had reached the cafeteria, and I took it before sitting down at the long table. Idle sounds of forks and knives scraping the plate surrounded me, and soon mine joined in with the horrible sounding chorus of raw sounds. I wish that I could go back to Riverside and continue with my education, but my world had changed more than I could ever even comprehend. Besides, what's the point to going back to school if I can't even use my magical powers in it. I guess that one good reason to go would be because I would be allowed to see Mikey again. Having a near death experience like that made me want to open my eyes to the possibility of my world blinking out of existence at any second, and all I could think about in this moment was the desire to spend the rest of my time on this Earth with him. Therefore, I'm going back to Riverside School of Magic and no one can stop me. Of course I'll ask first, but in the event that my family says no I'll have to do things the Benji way and leave home. I'm tired of lazing around and being stuck in only a few places. I've always been curious, and I've definitely quested to see as much of the world as I could before I met my demise. Maybe I can trick Mikey into travelling more with me once I'm healthy. We can go to barely touched corners of the earth and teach the little warlock children how to use their abilities. Then again, that would be hard since we can't break the secret code locked upon the supernatural community. I aim to have a significant change in the world, and an idle mindset will never let that happen. I have to become the change in the world, especially now since I have so much influence in every day life.

"So I was thinking, and... Well I want to go back to school," I announced to the table, and the statement immediately started controversy. "Can you all talk one at a time please?"

"Benjamin don't you think it's too early? You took down a super powerful demon single handedly, your body needs some serious R and R."

"Connor you've known me for how long and you still haven't picked up on how much I hate sitting around watching everyone else do what I want to be in the world doing. I just want to be back up and well learning more about myself, but you all are holding me back from doing that. I am going back to the school one way or another and there is nothing that any of you all can say or do to make me decide otherwise, okay? I'm allowed to make my own choices in this world, and I can't sit here and watch you people suppress me from my true potential."

"You know how much we all care about you. I wish that you could see just how serious this situation is. Your life is on the line in this, and alongside it your mental stability. I know that I'm not going to observe your downfall knowing that I'm the one that let it happen. Me and my husband have influenced and known you since you were only five, and I, while I hate to admit it, have begun to see you as my own son. I know that you couldn't be farther from it, but that's why I can't see you die. I'm so sorry if that offends you, but it's just how it is in my mind," Devon declared with a firm voice.

"I think it's a good idea," Oliver stated before getting a dirty look from his husband, and I internally snickered. This man must have a death wish of some kind in order to be going against the already announced words of his partner, and it would have been bad enough if he didn't then continue to talk. "I mean, we've all seen the way you mope about here with the eyes of the whole pack on you. It's sad and I want you to lead a happy life without all of the negativity."

"Me and Oliver will be having a nice chat outside." The shorter of the men dragged the other out of the room, and sounds of violence resonated from outside of the door. The awkward silence that had settled around the table left me wanting to run and hide, but I wasn't a baby! I can sit here and wait for Dev to stop killing Oli in peace.

It took only 5 minutes for the two men to come back in, and it was not easy to easily determine the winner at first. Both had battle scars, and I felt nerves beginning to settle back into my chest. I want to go back and see Mikey, and I will get it. "After a bit of deliberation we decided to allow Benji back to school."

"What!?" Connor voiced his anger, and I sighed. Why can't they just let me do what I think is right?

"Connor, we decided this after looking at the evidence. We all know that he would go do it anyways, right? Would you rather us drive him there willingly or let him end up hurting himself in the wilderness? Also Mikey will take care of him there. Your father and I decided that he could even do it much better than we could because of the... situation. Overall Benji is better off at that school even if his magic is broken permanently and that is final."

"Wait... Did you just say permanently?" My voice was small and quiet, and the expressions on their faces turned from resolute to the famous 'oh shit' look. 

"No, Benji we meant-"

"Don't you dare lie to me again. I'm tired of all the fucking lies! Just tell me what is wrong with me, and don't just assume that I'm a fragile fairy!"

"Well, when you killed off Dray, you exhausted your magic to the point that it has gone away completely. There might be a couple of ways for you to get it back but they're highly unlikely. We're so so sorry about all of this."

"I can't believe you hid this from me! Shame on all of you."

"Benji wait-"

"Bring me to school so I can yell at Mikey for this."

"I guess if that's what you want... Get packed."