48. Gun

8.29.20

Benji's POV

"So, what happened in the dining room? No one's come in or out for a while; I think you were the first one," Oliver prompted from beside me. Mikey had finished hugging me a couple of seconds before he walked up, and now he was asking me a lot of questions. I just hope I don't answer one wrong and end up on the way to the gates of heaven or hell.

"Well there's kinda a demon king in there."

"And you didn't think to mention this? God Benjamin!"

"We just started talking a few moments ago."

"Still... Goodness, how did I not notice!?"

"Sir there was a rather large explosion-"

"Not helping!"

"Okay okay calm down!"

"Can you both take a deep breath!? You're tearing each other apart," Mikey defended, and I quickly hid behind his large form. I can't handle two angry demons, man! Oliver stormed into the dining room already angry, and the door slammed loudly against the frame as his strong arm slammed it closed. I swiftly followed him in, and I could see his face growing red in rage.

"Get out of our home father," Oliver spat in front of the man, and I saw the older of the nearly identical men shrug. The air was tense around us, and I felt my head beginning to pound.

"I seem to recall that this isn't your home, Oliver."

"I live here with my husband, and I have dedicated myself to protecting my family. That includes booting you out."

"Ah, but we are family Oliver."

"That's where you're wrong. Family doesn't hurt each other the ways you hurt me. I was suffering for a long time until I met Dev. He saved my life, not you. You're a horrible father and an even worse family member. Get out of my life."

Suddenly the door slammed open, and my head whipped towards it. My father was standing in the frame panting, and his hair was kind of all over, even sticking up in some places. His face was stained red in a blush, and I could see his member standing at attention when I looked down at his pants to confirm my suspicious. That is seriously so gross. His eyes widened when he saw Dray upon the throne, and his body made a movement to back out of the room. I don't know what his deal is, but I'm thinking that my situation is much worse. "Oh look, more company! Come in come in."

Mikey was clinging onto me tightly from the side, and I leaned slowly into the contact. Nothing is normal again. I think I'm going to go insane if one more turbulent thing happens. I was off in la la land until I felt two jolting zaps in my neck, and I flinched so hard my body nearly capsized. Mikey fortunately caught me before I could get too far, and he held me very tightly to his chest. I relaxed into him, but it was short lived when the horrifying pair of shocks came again. I looked over, and I could see Oliver, and now my father bickering with Dray. The man was arguing back with just as much force, and I was alarmed that I was suddenly needed. "Nbtufs j dpmf xjkkjohmz," I breathed woefully, but I didn't shift since I was already in the same place as him. However, apparently the words allowed something else inside of me, and I heard his booming voice in my mind.

"Get the gun over to the left and shoot my son."

"W-what? I can't do that!"

"I killed the last master, kid. I can kill you as well. And the boy beside you. There's no way for you to beat me."

His words stirred up a memory in my mind, and I latched onto it as soon as possible. That dream... I remember now! I just need to get this damn collar off of my neck. I walked over to the gun across the room slowly in the mean time, and Mikey looked at me as if I was half insane. As my hand picked up the dangerous firearm, the weight was reassuring yet terrifying. It reminded me of the first time I learned I had magic... The thrill, the fear; it's all there. Mikey was crossing the room towards me at a fast pace. I knew that I only had a few seconds to do what I needed to, so I quickly loaded and aimed the firearm. My hand shook, but nothing could stop me... I couldn't let anyone else get hurt.

Boom.

***

Connor's POV

Varian was basically shaking in his shoes in front of me, but I didn't care at the moment. I'm just so livid! "What were you thinking?" I snapped, and his flinch made my heart hurt even more.

"I just... I don't know, okay? I was angry and I took it out on you. It was wrong, but I can't go back in time. You can't even begin to imagine how sorry I feel right now."

"You left me there."

"I was worried about Orion..."

"I was worried about you, Vari. I was concerned that you... Well that you might hate me."

"Connor I could never hate you..." Varian grabbed onto my arms, and I didn't have the stomach to push him away. His blue gray eyes bore into mine, and I relished the feeling of his fingers digging into my skin. He was desperate; his facial expressions told me so. I hated to see him this way, but he hurt me. I don't know how easy it is to forgive that.

"You make it sound that way."

"I can't hate you..."

"And how do I know that for certain, huh? How do I know that I'm not going to let you into my fortress again just for you to launch an attack?"

"I know that you're scared. I know that what I did was wrong, and I am willing to give you time to get used to me again... I'm sorry for all of the trouble I've been giving you."

"I guess... If I can have time..."

"I understand. I know that I've been over sensitive on this front, but I'm just... I can't explain this feeling in my chest. My heart beats faster every time I see you. I mean, I've seen you around in school, but I never thought I would get the chance to know you; the boy from my English class. The one that's always been so laid back and fun loving; every other week you would end up with detention because of a stupid prank... There was always that appeal to be with you, but I never thought I could be... Connor, you never noticed me, but I've had a crush on you since grade 3. I didn't have the chance until you came down into that cave and I... I just clung to you."

"You tore it all apart..."

"I know. I ruined it. I felt like you were finally getting to love me like I loved you, and I just tore it all down."

"I did."

"Then let me fix it; let us fix it."

"I guess so..."

"Yay!"