11. Blake

7.26.20

"My father is rising," Dad shouted breathlessly. I knew he was probably standing there with wide eyes and messy hair, but I knew that something really bad was happening when there were collective gasps. Whoever his father is, he clearly isn't very liked in the family.

"We need to get the group back together to put the defences back up. Someone find Blake and get him here, now." Papa had panic written in his voice, but it was when Jack spoke up that the facepalming proceeded around the room.

"I haven't really been keeping up with maintaining my magic's power like I was as a teen. My vessel is weaker as well as my magic; you're going to need a younger warlock..."

"Honestly, same," dad declared, and I assumed that the men were looking between each other with unamused stares.

"Guys, you have children."

"God, Alex, we knew that!"

"Hey I'm just saying! Speaking of children where did Benjamin go?"

That's a good question; where am I? I can't really remember; the earthquake was disorienting for me since it was so sudden. I just remember it going from calm to not calm in the span of a second. "Benji!" Connor called out, and I tried to shout back but the dust had gotten thicker. I figured it was particles from the dry wall, but it was not doing wonders for my throat.

"Did anyone see where he went?" Papa was immediately worried as well, and I wanted to shout that I was alright. Stupid dust.

"No! What if he didn't get under in time, and he's underneath all of the rubble?"

"Calm down, Con. We'll look for him, okay?"

Things began to shuffle about around me, and I curled into a tight ball as someone accidentally pushed rubble into my hiding space. I tried to announce my presence to them, but they were stirring up the debris. It was starting to make my eyes sting as well, and I tried to no avail to dig towards them as well. Suddenly, someone must have tried to sit on the weak desk above me because it gave way and began to squeeze the air out of my lungs. The weight of a body was also on it contributing to my struggle and I wanted to cry out so badly that my throat was able to produce a quack sounding squeal.

The weight was released a bit, and the desk was finally pulled away from my body. I panted loudly as I was pulled up from the ruins, and I realized that I was literally covered in bits of dry wall. There was a hole in the ceiling right above my refuge, so at least it made sense. "He seems alright." Someone poked my cheek, and I started on the coughing fit of the century. "Well, mostly. He's alive and in tact." My head was tilted back, and I felt a cold liquid slide down my throat clearing away the crap in my airway. My head was then dropped onto someone's chest, and a hand ran through my hair gently. My shoulders relaxed, and I heard a soft chuckle.

"Oh, so I'm just replaced so easily!" Jacob shouted, and I recognized that I was in Jack's embrace. Whatever, I don't care for now. I just like the warmth.

"Jace I'm not replacing you–"

"What? You find out that I'm not your actual son and you cuddle right up to him like he's your damn soulmate–"

"We do not talk about him! I'm not replacing you! He is hurt, and it's time I treated him like family because he is! I would do the same for you!"

"I found out that the people who I though were my parents weren't, and my actual ones are dead! Do you even know what that does to a person?"

"Jace–"

"No, just shut up! This is a damn nightmare, and it's your fault!"

"Kid, it isn't his fault! If you wanna take it out on someone, do it to the hospital workers. They're the ones that messed up."

"I hate you, dad." The door slammed closed, and the man below me felt like he was slowly withering away. I did my best to give him a hug from our current position, and he accepted the comfort. A bit too much, might I add. He was soon crying on me, and I sat up a bit so that I could give the awkward shoulder pat of destiny. Everyone else has walked out at some point while he was sobbing, so I was alone by the time the tears slowed. I sat back on my knees and gently wiped his face with a Kleenex, and he smiled gratefully at me.

"Sorry, I do pretty bad at holding in my feelings..."

"It's okay, I guess."

I had once thought that I would never get anymore fatherly embraces, but I was glad that I did. After listening to Jacob's outburst, I realized that I got the longer end of the stick. I had lost my parents but realized they weren't actually mine, and he had learned that his parents weren't his and his real ones were dead. He would never get to know them like I did... It's very sad. Alexa, play despacito.

"Jack, Benji, come downstairs. Blake is here to help is seal the thingy. Also I want our room back." My black haired grandfather stared coldly at us, but there was a slight warmth behind his icy blue eyes that let me know he was just using a front. I don't know why, but he is. Maybe he's hurting on the inside, but he feels like a burden? I would make a good therapist! As we walked down the corridor, I took a moment to remember the people I grew up with. It brought a fresh wave of tears to my eyes, and I held them in like they were valuable diamonds. Jack's hand rubbed up and down my back helpfully, and I was able to swallow my sadness for now. I know this isn't good for me, but I can't let the world see my weakness.

As soon as we stepped into the living room, a quickly moving human projectile flew at Jack. I stumbled farther into the room away from them, and Connor caught me before I fell over. When I looked up, there was a pink haired, overly excited man clinging to Jack like a monkey. The latter looked completely unamused, but he still hugged back.

"That's Blake, and over there is his soulmate, Gabriel. They're attached by the hip; I've never seen one without the other."

"NEW PERSON!" The one named Blake shouted before running at me, and I fell over when he hit me. I was not expecting something that strong from someone that tiny. "WHAT'S YOUR NAME!? I'M BLAKE!"

"I'm Benjamin, sir."

"OH MY GOD THAT IS SO CUTE!"

Suddenly, he was picked up off of me, and I saw his boyfriend hug him firmly. "Blake, calm down. You're overwhelming the boy."

"But he's so cute!"

"I'm hurt-"

"Gabey not like that!"

"Fine..."

"I'm sorreh!"

"Alright. Let's move out, y'all!"