Chapter Three: Seperation

The melancholy piano player rocked gently back and forth, small creaks of wood echoing from off the grey walls from the old bench the player sat on. The player's finger gracefully moved from key to key, a mesmerizing sight to see by any spectators. The mournful notes flew around the room and took form of a gloomy, morning day on the beach. The waves washing up on shore peacefully, but the view to the horizon was dark grey and empty.

  Suddenly, the player stopped playing and instantly changed pace. The player's fingers moved swiftly and tapped on the keys with fury. Corrupt notes bounched off the walls, acsending her anger. Soon, the player stopped all together, shoulders low and head tilted. Eventually, the player stood and moved to the nearby glassed window, pushing it open and embracing the morning air. The player looked out at Kouka: The City of Night--staring at the filled streets and fast business occuring around the city.

  "Miss Rydia."

  The player raised a brow, "Yes?"

  "Your father has called for you."

  She ran her fingers through her long, curly silky hair and smiled politely, "Thank you. I will make way to his quarters now."

  The maid bowed respectfully and soon left Rydia. She soon fell to her knees, a heavy emotional load on her body. She was grieving the loss of her mother. The mother that she loved so much and was very close to her young heart. The beautiful pale skinned girl soon glanced over at the old black, but polished piano. "...And this is the only way I can connect with her..."

  "Father."

  "Rydia. How are you this morning?"

  She met her father's honest and sincere azure eyes, "I am..."

  She couldn't find the words.

  He raised from his jeweled red cushioned chair and slowly descended the red carpeted steps. He soon stood tall in front of Rydia and his eyes became stern. Rydia looked up into his eyes, her glossy aquaramine eyes meeting his gaze head-on. Her father hesitatly moved forward, slowly, and soon held her arms firmly. Rydia moved close to him and he wrapped his arms around her. Her face was rubbed against his smooth and muscular chest, warming her cheek. The pressure weighing down her body finally lifted, as if God had relieved her of pain. Tears fell from her eyes and dropped to the marble floor. Her father held her tightly and she began to weep, her knees buckling and dropping to the floor. He fell with her and whispered into her ear, "Do not worry. I promise you, Rydia. We will see her again..."

  Rydia gritted her teeth and admitted defeat, letting the tears drench her face. Her father wrapped her in his royal red cloak with white fur along the edges. Slowly and gently, he wiped her tears near her eyes and smiled peacefully, "You look exactly like your beautiful mother. Please, never forget that she will always be inside your heart--as long as you do not forget her. Do not ever lock away your memories of her. No matter the pain it causes. I want you to remember the woman that I loved and that you come to adore. Never forget, Rydia..."

  "I promise...I won't ever forget..." Rydia said, sniffing and holding back her tears.

  "Good. Never forget the people or this country. This is your home and no one can tell you otherwise."

  She looked in his eyes, confused by his sudden words, "Father...?"

  "Forgive me, Rydia. I love you..."

  He slammed his hand into a vulnerable spot on her neck and she immediately shot her eyes open and soon fell into his chest, falling unconsious. The father smiled weakly, carassing her hair while pressing his lips against her forehead. Coming out of the darkness of the room were two individuals. "Raine Flaunt and August Delgo. Please, protect my blood from any harm. Until this war is over, refrain from allowing her to return home. I beg of you as the king of Kouka...protect the thing I wish most..."